Sometimes there is a need to debug multiple processors in the same system. It is possible if you use the CCS ICD units to use multiple ICD units on the same PC. This allows you program or debug different target devices in separate processors concurrently.
By default the PCW IDE will only open one instance and additional files you attempt to edit appear as separate tabs. Although the IDE can only manage one project at a time it is possible to have multiple instances of the IDE open at the same time.
* Connect two ICD units and target devices.
* Right click on the desktop icon for the IDE and select PROPERTIES.
* At the end of the target line, after the " if there is one, add a space followed by: +FORCE_NEW
* Start up the IDE by double clicking on the icon and load the first project and start debugging. With both ICD units connected you will be prompted (by serial number) for the ICD unit to use. You can use the CCSLOAD utility to give each unit a friendly name. You can also go the "Configure Port" button the control panel to switch ICD units.
* Double click again on the IDE icon and this time select the second project. You can start that debugger as well.
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
CCS is a leading worldwide supplier of embedded software development tools that enable companies to develop premium products based on Microchip PIC® MCU and dsPIC® DSC devices. Complete proven tool chains from CCS include a code optimizing C compiler, application specific hardware platforms and software development kits. CCS' products accelerate development of energy saving industrial automation, wireless and wired communication, automotive, medical device and consumer product applications. Established in 1992, CCS is a Microchip Premier 3rd Party Partner. For more information, please visit https://www.ccsinfo.com.
PIC® MCU, MPLAB® IDE, MPLAB® ICD2, MPLAB® ICD3 and dsPIC® are registered trademarks of Microchip Technology Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.