CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Virus in the compiler updates?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valemike

Virus in the compiler updates?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Twice it's happened to me already:

File Name: GLH2005.TMP

Detected As: Generic Backdoor.d

Either CCS's computers are infected, or they are doing something they shouldn't be doing.

not found
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

Scanned all CCS stuff... and no virus found.

Could be your computer is infected and you think it's coming from CCS !
valemike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:02 am     Reply with quote

It's a company computer, and the IT guy gives us updates like 3 times a week.

I get this problem after unzipping the update and trying to install it. Might be that the antivirus software is way too sensitive and is unnecessarily giving me false alarms.

Anyways, it is the file i mention above that causes the problem.
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

Some of those look for signatures in files which does not always mean there is a virus.

Anti virus software
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:04 am     Reply with quote

I've just come accross this problem.

Company IT department maintained Anti-Virus software from McAfee Associates gives a FALSE POSITIVE on file ~GLH0005.TMP when installing, and on ccscoff.exe after installation. A direct scan of the compiler update file does not find a problem.

This is since the last antivirus DAT file update.

Tried installing CCS updates all the way back to 3.205 - the antivirus now finds a virus in all these updates where previously (before the antivirus was updated) they installed ok.
dcomer

Virus
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

I'm getting the same Virus detected. McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 7.1.0, DAT files 4390. No history of virus infections (until now) and religiously updated.

Last edited by dcomer on Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ttelmah

Re: Virus
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:14 am     Reply with quote

dcomer wrote:
I'm getting the same Virus detected. McAffee Virus Scan Enterprise 7.1.0, DAT files 4390. No history of virus infections (until now) and religiously updated.

What this means as another has posted, is that a pattern of bytes in the update, happens to give the same result for the algorithm used by the vrus checker, as a new virus that has come along. This is an ever more common event, as the number of 'signatures' rise. The answer is to contact McCafee, and report to them, that you are seeing what you believe is a false positive. What they then do, is 'shift' the search pattern slightly. If their search looks for a 16byte block (a common size), and currently it is looking for the first sixteen bytes of this virus, they move it to search for the next sixteen bytes, and change the entry in the DAT files. I have had to do this twice in the last five years, for packages that gave this type of report (one a large graphics program, and the other a Microsoft update...). In both cases, the packages tested 'clean' with two other virus checkers, and were on original CD's, so the chances of an infection were really small, making the suspicion that it was a 'false positive', easy to reach. In one case, McAfee reported the positive, while Norton, and AVG reported nothing, while in the other Norton reported the positive, while McAfee and AVG did not. This reflects the slightly different algorithms used in the packages to identify the virus.
You need to tell them which virus is reported.
If the modified DAT file does not identify the virus, you can feel happy again, while if it does, you can start to worry...
When this happened to me before, the updated DAT file was sent within 24hours.

Best Wishes
dcomer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah,

Thanks for your reply. I read the reference to the previous reply, had a prior understanding of what the issues was, and was simply confirming the report as an FYI to CCS and others. I think it would be in CCS's interest to contact McCafee (sic) instead of expecting a flood of user complaints to McAfee. Although the term "flood" is debatable, solving the issue at the source is not. This, IMHO, is the difference between a customer oriented company and a company that just releases software.

Ongoing Virus Problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:26 am     Reply with quote

Raised this with both CCS and McAfee at the beginning of September, when McAfee released DAT file 4.0.4388.
So far only CCS have responded to say that they have contacted McAfee to try and resolve this issue.
We are now up to DAT file 4.0.4390 - haven't had any response yet from McAfee and the problem is still persisting.
valemike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:39 am     Reply with quote

So if my antivirus program identifies it as a false positive, and takes its actions to get rid of it (whether it be to quarantine or simply delete it), does it have any effect on my compiler's installation?

-Mike
Haplo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

It depends on the file, but it probably will. All the files are there for a reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: