CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

a 5volt regulator cost 5mha in current?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

a 5volt regulator cost 5mha in current?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

I got an LM340T5 5v regulator. I have been working on getting the voltage down anyway I got it down to about 6 mha and couldnt find out where the rest was comming from. So I disconnected everything and it seems like the voltage regulator is costing 5mha, does this sound correct?

Nick
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

Look at the spec for quiescent current on page 3 of the data sheet.
It says 6 ma is the max value (at room temperature), so 5 ma sounds
normal. http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM340.pdf
There are better regulators. Look at the websites for National, T.I.,
and also Seiko Instruments. (Seiko has really low quiescent current).

http://www.national.com/catalog/AnalogRegulators.html
http://focus.ti.com/analog/docs/analogprodhome.tsp?familyId=400&templateId=2
http://speed.sii.co.jp/pub/compo/ic/en/param_chrt.jsp?recordID=22
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:11 am     Reply with quote

Don't rule out the 'new' switch mode regulators, the later ones don't need the inductors, just a couple of caps, quiescent current measured in low uA range.

Will
ckielstra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:19 am     Reply with quote

Will,

I'm looking for something like that but this is the first time I hear of switch mode regulators without inductors. Can you give a few examples of type numbers?
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:04 am     Reply with quote

The only inductroless one I've used in a product is a MAX1759, a battery project which needed to run in the wild for a year without human contact! Its 100mA max giving 3.3V from 1.6 to 5.5V input, 1uA shutdown Mode, 50uA Quiescent current. I ran it off a single lithium (non rechargeable) cell, worked very well.

I will be searching the Farnell catalogue later this week to find one for another handheld device I am designing to run from 4AA batteries.

Keep well,

Will
rwyoung

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:35 am     Reply with quote

ckielstra wrote:
Will,

I'm looking for something like that but this is the first time I hear of switch mode regulators without inductors. Can you give a few examples of type numbers?

Look around on Maxim-IC's, TI's, Linear Technology for the phrase "charge pump".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:14 am     Reply with quote

I looked at the MAX1759 part and it would be really good for loads of less than 20mA. Li-ion cells would be great since their voltage doesn't drop to below 3.6V until they are nearly dead.

The drawback would be the package. It's a big step to go from a TO-220 to a uMAX package. It's a little harder to put on a breadboard! You'll need a circuit board.
Will Reeve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Indeed, I went straight to PCB for that design, http://www.pcbtrain.co.uk will do a couple of board for 40quid. Takes 10 days but if you get it right (or nearly right!) saves you a lot of time and you have the PCB laid out at then end of it :-)

Will
Will Reeve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 am     Reply with quote

In fact I swapped to the MAX682 because of the uMAX packaging of the MAX1759! I should read me notes better :-) I am now going to use the MAX682 again in the new design as it worked very well. It's still in a bloody small package but at least you can solder it by hand if you are careful. I remember getting a sample of the uMAX package and I could hardly see the gaps between the pins and decided to change to one a little bigger!

Keep well all,

Will
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: