CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS RAM allocation - problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil

CCS RAM allocation - problem?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Hello all, anyone familiar with the way CCS allocates RAM to functions should be able to explain this...

My code crashes occasionally, which most probably IS my code! But... I had a look at the Symbol listing and found amongst the various disposable variables belonging to functions at address 048, there is a scratch variable belonging to main(). This looks to me like it should not be in the same location as these disposables! Can anyone set this straight?

Here is a snippet...

046 buff_in
047 buff_out
048 intee_write_long.offset
048 intee_read_long.offset
048 set_disp_mode.mode
048 draw_mode_menu.mode_number
048 show_data.mode_number
048 serial_handler.temp
048 main.@SCRATCH
049 lcd_init.i
049-04A intee_write_long.data
049-04A intee_read_long.data

Thanks, and merry Xmas to all.
Neil.

Re: CCS RAM allocation - problem?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

:=Hello all, anyone familiar with the way CCS allocates RAM to functions should be able to explain this...
:=
:=My code crashes occasionally, which most probably IS my code! But... I had a look at the Symbol listing and found amongst the various disposable variables belonging to functions at address 048, there is a scratch variable belonging to main(). This looks to me like it should not be in the same location as these disposables!

If the two memory locations are temporary in both functions, _and_ (looking at the .lst file), the one in main is used & finished with before the function is called, then this is sensible behaviour, and shows a high degree of efficiency, re-using memory locations to save RAM.

OTOH, if main() uses the location, then calls your function, then comes back & uses it again, then there's something a bit wrong somewhere!

HTH

Pete.

Re: CCS RAM allocation - problem?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply on the memory allocation problem. What a small world it is though, just read your profile. I am in S.Wales at the moment, but will be going North on the weekend (to Amlwch) to spend xmas with the family. I went to school in LlanfairPG!
Just thought that little detail would amuse you!

Have a Merry Xmas and happy new year.
Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: