CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Writing to EEPROM with an ICD-U40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dntccs

Writing to EEPROM with an ICD-U40
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

I have just purchased an ICD-U40 and have not been able to find an answer in previous forum questions. I have also searched the manual for the ICD and PCW and do not see an answer.

I need to write calibration data to the EEPROM of a 16F876 using the ICD. We are running PCW. I am able to program the device so I know the ICD is operating OK. The code compiles with 47% ROM, 57% RAM and A Stack of 2. If I place the #device ICD=TRUE in my code I get the message "Not Enough RAM for All Variables" message. I would prefer not to change the code since it is running OK in 50 devices.

I normally use an ICE2000 and am able to view the EEPROM data. I do not see a way to do this with the ICD-U40 (at least while in the program mode). Is there a way if I am not able to compile with the debugger code? Even if I can not view the data, is there a way to write it?

Thanks,

Dennis T.
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Search the main forum for "#rom" and "eeprom". Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25522&highlight=rom+0xf00000+int8
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28175&highlight=rom+eeprom

In your code you place:

Code:
#rom 0x2100 = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 }

This will add 'preload' eeprom data to the hex programming file. Watch for the int8 gotcha mentioned in the above posts. For 18 series pics, the rom address is 0xF00000.

As for viewing that data using the ICD U40, I honestly don't know how that is achieved. I normally use a different programmer for most of my work and have limited experience with the U40.
dntccs

Calibration Data
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

I should have been more specific. I am already writing baseline calibration figures into EEPROM. I have been using an ICE to calibrate with while the board is in an environmental chamber. It is difficult to get the board situated in the chamber with the ICE just outside. I do not like having the device adapter for the ICE in the chamber between -20 and +70 deg C. The arrangement is also hard on the connecting cable between the adapter and the ICE. I could place the entire ICE in the chamber, but the processor module already runs pretty hot and it would have to be in close proximity to 2000 VDC.

What I would like to be able to accomplish is to have the PIC already in place on the board and write the required data to the EEPROM using the ICD instead of the ICE. This way when the board comes out of the chamber it is ready to be packaged.

Thanks,

Dennis T.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

The Microchip ICD2 has a tab in the Programmer / Settings menu
in MPLAB that lets you set it to only program the data eeprom.
Within that tab, you can select the option for "Manually select memories
and ranges". Then you have a choice of the following tick boxes:
Select the one for EEPROM and only it will be programmed.
Code:

Memories
o  Program
o  Configuration
o  EEPROM
o  ID
o  External

CCS may have similar options for the ICD-U40 in their software.
Look in the PCWH IDE or the standalone ICD control program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: