CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD (CCS and Microchip) plus PIC18 internal osc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mskala

ICD (CCS and Microchip) plus PIC18 internal osc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:43 am     Reply with quote

I'm not quite understanding the wording of documents for CCS ICD (as well as Microchip ICD2).

I don't have a debugger yet but need to design board with it in mind for others.

Question is with PIC18F4520 for example, which has internal 8MHz oscillator, is it truly a requirement for external osc/crystal to use the debugger (not just programmer)?

Did a search and can't find posts specifically mentioning this. CCS and Microchip both seem to say 'target osc must be running' for debug mode, but PIC datasheet description about debug mode lists certain resources of the chip which are used and doesn't mention the oscillator block.

Thanks,
Mark S.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Did a search and can't find posts specifically mentioning this.

Use Google to search the microchip forums. Here's the search string:
Quote:
site:forum.microchip.com ICD2 "internal oscillator" debug OR debugger OR debugging

That gets 120 hits, with threads like this:
http://forum.microchip.com/fb.aspx?m=236849
mskala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks, I was not performing as much of an intense search. Even with yours, only a couple of the >100 threads are very definite.

But seems like no problem to run internal oscillator along with debug mode, provided that MCLR is not used as an I/O pin.
mskala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Eventually proved the answer to my own question. I don't know why these things aren't worded more clearly in the documents.

I got the CCS ICD along with the 18F4520 development board (basically a free board with the ICE purchase, great deal).

Once I got the debugger working with a simple LED flasher program, I took off the dev board oscillator and changed to internal osc in the code. The debugger still works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: