CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

brownout configuration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave.t

brownout configuration
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:52 am     Reply with quote

Hi all
I am trying to understand how the brownout facility is implemented - I am using the 12f629.
The data sheets say that the user must set the BOD to a '1' as its state is unknown on reset and checked on subsequent resets to establish if a 'brownout' has occured ie. BOD is '0'.
How can I distinguish between a 'power on reset' and a 'brownout'if the state of BOD bit is unknown.

If I set the BOD bit to a '1' then I must check on any reset for it changing to a '0' before - I set it to a known state ('1') (otherwise BOD would always be '1') but then I would be checking a unknown state bit!
I am sure it is simple but I think my brain has stuck in reverse!
Many thanks
Dave

Re: brownout configuration
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:10 am     Reply with quote

:=Hi all
:=I am trying to understand how the brownout facility is implemented - I am using the 12f629.
:=The data sheets say that the user must set the BOD to a '1' as its state is unknown on reset and checked on subsequent resets to establish if a 'brownout' has occured ie. BOD is '0'.
:=How can I distinguish between a 'power on reset' and a 'brownout'if the state of BOD bit is unknown.
:=
:=If I set the BOD bit to a '1' then I must check on any reset for it changing to a '0' before - I set it to a known state ('1') (otherwise BOD would always be '1') but then I would be checking a unknown state bit!
:=I am sure it is simple but I think my brain has stuck in reverse!
:=Many thanks
:=Dave
The 'key', is the POR bit.
The first time the chip is powered up, the POR bit will be zero (this is defined). Now at this point, you can set the BOR bit, and in future, can now tell when a brownout has occurred. You are correct, that "on it's own", testing just the brownout bit, owuld leave you unable to tell what has happened.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: