CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD-U as a programmer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwyoung

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:40 am     Reply with quote

What are you using to power your PicPac? Is it at least 7VDC? Does it have at least 100mA of output current drive? Also, change from the 78L05 to a 7805 and see if your voltage continues to droop.

Looking at the schematic from their web site, I think you should have SW1, SW2, and SW3 OPEN.

Also, I think J6 is a bit too far away from the PIC for reliable ICSP operation but there isn't much you can do about that unless you make a chip-clip. In general, you need to keep the ICSP lines short, that includes the lengths on the circuit board AND from the circuit board to the programmer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:52 am     Reply with quote

That's right... thanks for looking...

picpac icd
1. gnd
2. +5
3. mclr with pull-up +5
4. Rb6
5 Rb7

3,4,5 can be switched to gnd

Since I don't press any of the switches 3,4,5 are effectively floating...

I chopped the cable for the ICD in half; randomly picked one half and soldered it on to my PICPAC board... The wires are wired up to match the outputs of J6 to the correct wire to the connecor...

Incidentally I have removed the LCD Display as I thought this might complicate... specifically as it has RB3.

It should be simple... RB6 and RB7 exposed... GND, +4v96 and MCLR with 100k Pullup.

I must be missing a trick.

Thanks,
Gavin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments... I have a couple of things to try... will report back.

Specifically... try and enhance the power supply... try and reduce the interconnects... although I actually have a very short cable since I chopped mine in half!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:52 am     Reply with quote

Rather than changing my power supply could I instead power the PIC from the ICD? I see someone has added a switch to theirs.

I am using the USB Version.

Thanks in advance,
Gavin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

My J6 is wired to the half cable as...

Green
Yellow
White
Black
Red

the Blue is not connected

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:20 am     Reply with quote

Well first I took apart the ICD-U40 and put a jumper across... I can now power my device from the ICD-U40... which removes the need for an upgraded power supply... I still have verification errors.

I started removing components.... first I removed the FX614... no effect... then I removed the MAX232... No verification errors!

I don't understand this at all... but then again there are many things I don't understand...

The MAX232 is connected to RC6 and RC7... but perhaps it is more a case of the voltage rails somehow being affected???

Regards,
Gavin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

Eureka! I have programming working. I found a short (well it didn't look like a short) on one of the tracks running parallel to RC6 and RC7 which ran to the MAX232A. Having tidied up this now programs with no verification errors.

My hardware still doesn't quite work but I am confident that the programmer does as I can see some characters on the LCD. Unfortunately the LCD is faint and has artifacts. Looks like I have some issue with the LCD coupling to something else... but that's another story!

Thanks,
Gavin

how ti use ICD-U with MPLAB IDE to debugg
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:38 am     Reply with quote

tel mw how to use ICD-U with MLAB for debugging?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The circuit uses a simple voltage regulator to get 4v96 on Vdd

However I do see Vdd fall to 3v933 when programming.

I wonder if some external components are causing a drain during the programming process... if not it is the ICD that is pulling the voltage down...

Is there a way of reducing the load put on my circuit due to the ICD?

I guess my only other option is to start looking at out of circuit programming... rather defeats the point of the ICD.

Regards,
Gavin

PS

The circuit I am programming is a PICPAC, its schematic is on the www.byonics.com website.
treitmey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The circuit uses a simple voltage regulator to get 4v96 on Vdd

However I do see Vdd fall to 3v933 when programming.

I wonder if some external components are causing a drain during the programming process... if not it is the ICD that is pulling the voltage down...

Is there a way of reducing the load put on my circuit due to the ICD?

I guess my only other option is to start looking at out of circuit programming... rather defeats the point of the ICD.

Regards,
Gavin

PS

The circuit I am programming is a PICPAC, its schematic is on the www.byonics.com website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: