CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS ICD-S with PIC18FXXX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john cutler

CCS ICD-S with PIC18FXXX
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

I have read on this bbs that some have had success replacing the crystal in their ICD1 with a 20 MHZ one.
I would like to do this with my CCS ICD-S. Can this work? Does it effect the baud rate? Will the serial port still work properly? I downloaded the ICD-S software this week and noticed there were 2 files - one for 20 Mhz.

I did get my stock ICD-S to sort of work with the CCS debugger, but it's insanely slow. I have to wait several seconds between single steps or it crashes.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

John

Re: CCS ICD-S with PIC18FXXX
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hello John
I have just built a ICD-S per <a href="http://www.vitrum.cz/snail/icd.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vitrum.cz/snail/icd.htm</a>
and I have used the 20 Mhz xtal and the 3.686 xtal for the microchip version they both work. If you change your 3.686 Mhz xtal to 20 Mhz and program the ccsicd20 firmware it works at 115000 baud. Also works with the CCS debugger.
SAR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

:=Hello John
:= I have just built a ICD-S per <a href="http://www.vitrum.cz/snail/icd.htm" TARGET="_blank"> <a href="http://www.vitrum.cz/snail/icd.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vitrum.cz/snail/icd.htm</a></a>
:=and I have used the 20 Mhz xtal and the 3.686 xtal for the microchip version they both work. If you change your 3.686 Mhz xtal to 20 Mhz and program the ccsicd20 firmware it works at 115000 baud. Also works with the CCS debugger.
:=SAR
SAR - Thanks for the reply. I wonder though, when I tried to load the ccsicd20 firmware via the ICD-S software to my 3.686Mhz box, the error message was that I had the wrong firmware and should load the other regular ccsicd firmware. It didn't complain about my clock speed. I only hope it will recognize the xtal change and allow me to install the ccsicd20 firmware.
Tomorrow will tell - when I can get a 20Mhz xtal to swap out.

John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hello John
The ccsicd20 firmware only works if you have a 20 Mhz xtal installed in your ICD-S! The ccsicd firmware is for the 3.686 Mhz
oscillator. I just did some tests with with the 3.686 Xtal setup and the ccsicd firmware and it works at 115000 baud like a charm.
I single step it fine in about less than a second to update. I do know if you have to many registers in your snapshot it might slow things done considerably...haven't tested this part yet. Look in the snapshot setup of the debugger an try to use the minimum amount of resources you need it should speed up. Also, you need to keep the cable from the debugger to the target board as short as possible. They say max 19" ??? But I bet, shorter the better.
Best wishes, SAR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:58 pm     Reply with quote

Hello John

One other thing to think about! Is your firmware pic soldered onto your ICD-S board? If so watch out...if you corrupt your internal firmware on the ICD-S pic you will need to reprogram it on a programer, or somehow access your programing ports. If it's surface mount tiny soldering to the three ports: RB6 & RB7 plus MCLR will result! As per CCS statement Note: "If the bootloader in the ICD-S becomes damaged the ICD-S will need to be returned to CCS to be reloaded."
Anyways.....mine is a dip in a socket so easy fix here.

Good luck...SAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:34 am     Reply with quote

For what it's worth- I recently purchased the ICD-S and was (and still am) having difficulty getting it to link to the target chip. The computer to ICD-S connection worked fine, but I thought that there may have been an issue with the firmware. Knowing it was perilous I downloaded the 20MHz software to the 4MHz rated, surface mounted PIC in the ICD-S, equipped with a 3.68MHz crystal. Needless to say this killed my ability to connect with the ICD-S. Out of desperation I desoldered the 3.68MHz crystal and stuck a 20MHz in its place. Surprisingly it worked! I don't recommend doing this but I relate this experience so that others know what may be attempted in the event they do the same thing I did.
Now, if I could only get the ICD-S to download to my target microprocessor....

ICD-S
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

I suspect there is more to this than simply swapping the 3.68 crystal to 20 mhz and installing ICDS-20. The 16F876 chip has firmware that is married to the 3.68 crystal.Bit banged rs 232 I imagine. This is burned in by either by CCS or Microchip in the case of ICD1. It will work with the 20 mhz software and xtal until you next need to update the ICDS-20 software then it will not take the update due to the firmware being for the 3.68. The 3.68 firmware and xtal is I believe needed to retreive a download update.That's why it works the first time since the 3.68 xtal is in place but once you have the 20 mhz in place it will debug but will not update ICD-S. If you had the 20mhz firmware then you could burn it in using picstart+ and leave the 3.68 behind.

Re: ICD-S
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

Right on the button Doug....you are exactly correct! I update the firmware on my melabs epic programmer after swapping the xtals. I also noticed if the target pic is running at 4 Mhz and the ICD is running at 20 Mhz it doesn't debug correctly. I changed the target xtal to 20 Mhz then it works correctly! Don't know why yet! When I ran the ICD at 3.686 Mhz and my target was at 4 Mhz it also worked correctly! Haven't tried ICD at 3.68 Mhz and Target at 20 Mhz yet to see what happens. I'm using a test program by Jon Fick at: <a href="http://www.vermontficks.org/adc1c.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vermontficks.org/adc1c.htm</a> modified to read and display the floating point result from the pic AD converter. Target is a PIC 16F877 on Microchips PIC DEMO2 proto board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: