CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

2 wire SPI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markus

2 wire SPI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:51 am     Reply with quote

Dear experts,

I'm using a 16LF877A to interface a GLCD with a built-in controller. Unfortunately the display uses some weird sort of SPI hardware. The MOSI and MISO lines are tied together. I connected this line to the PIC's SDO pin. Result: I'm able to write data but I can't generate the clock and read the data from the display 'by hand' (although I set the TRIS register correctly depending on read/write).
So, what are your suggestions? Get rid of the MSSP and communicate with the LCD via normal digital pins (software SPI)?

Markus
rnielsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Do you have a manufacturer/model# or specifications for the display? It might help to see what it's communication specifications are before replying with any advice.

Ronald
valemike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:54 am     Reply with quote

I've done two-wired signaling for a vacuum fluorescent display, and it was a nonstandard scheme. I pretty much just had to designate my two pins as digital i/o and bitbang away.

I havent done much SPI in my life, but i don't think a 2-wired spi exists. Perhaps you are really seeing an "I2C" diagram, but the lcd manufacturer doesn't want to call it "i2c" because it is trademarked?

2 wire SPI - does /CS count?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

The Dallas DS1302 Timekeeping Chip is a 3-wire "SPI": /CS (chip select), CLK (clock), and I/O (data input/output). The I/O line is bidirectional. In the data sheet they call it "synchronous serial communication," not SPI.

I believe the term "SPI" is trademarked.

Gotta bang those bits by hand I think. Its more fun this way anyway.....

Mike
Markus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:32 am     Reply with quote

First of all, I made it work by using a mixture of bitbang and the built-in MSSP module.

rnielsen wrote:
Do you have a manufacturer/model# or specifications for the display? It might help to see what it's communication specifications are before replying with any advice.

Nope, unfortunately not, since it is an OEM Display. All I know is the pin-out and the controller, Philips PCF8833. There is a SDIN and a SDOUT pin on the controller, but on the connector there's only one SDATA pin (SDIN + SDOUT).

valemike wrote:

I've done two-wired signaling for a vacuum fluorescent display, and it was a nonstandard scheme. I pretty much just had to designate my two pins as digital i/o and bitbang away.

I havent done much SPI in my life, but i don't think a 2-wired spi exists. Perhaps you are really seeing an "I2C" diagram, but the lcd manufacturer doesn't want to call it "i2c" because it is trademarked?

It seems like it does exist. In this case it is called "a 3-line bidirectional interface". It's not I2C since there are no start/stop bits and no acks/nacks.

Mike wrote:

The Dallas DS1302 Timekeeping Chip is a 3-wire "SPI": /CS (chip select), CLK (clock), and I/O (data input/output). The I/O line is bidirectional. In the data sheet they call it "synchronous serial communication," not SPI.

I believe the term "SPI" is trademarked.

Gotta bang those bits by hand I think. Its more fun this way anyway.....

Mike

After hours of headaches I can say: You're right, Mike! Wink But before it was totally new to me...
BTW: I don't agree with your last sentence! Smile

Thank you, guys!

Markus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: