CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

DS2438 with 12V lead acid battery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeytennis

DS2438 with 12V lead acid battery
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:22 am     Reply with quote

Hello.

I was just wondering whether anyone had tried using a DS2438 1-Wire Smart Battery Monitor chip with a 12V lead acid battery. The chip includes an 8 bit internal current accumulator, a 16-bit charging current accumulator and a 16-bit discharing current accumulator which can be used to calculate the remaining capacity inside a battery in Ampere-Hours. This current accumulator, however, is designed for batteries which have only a maximum of 2.5Ah capacity so I was wondering whether it was possible to maybe cheat the system into thinking it was a smaller capacitance battery. I already know how to convert the voltage to a measurable range (as the DS2438 requires 1.5-10v input) but am not sure about the current.

One idea I was toying with was to perhaps have a long variable for charge inside the master (in this case a PIC18F252 microcontroller) and every, say, 10 minutes read the values of the charging currents/discharging currents and add/subtract from the internal variable accordingly, thus hopefully enabling me to establish the remaining capacity.

The system I have uses a PIC18F252 microcontroller hosting a Dallas 1-Wire bus to which a DS2438 battery monitor chip is connected. This chip is monitoring the status of a 12V, 84Ah Lead Acid battery from which the system (amongst other things) is powered.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon
adrian

Re: DS2438 with 12V lead acid battery
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:36 am     Reply with quote

monkeytennis wrote:
Hello.

I was just wondering whether anyone had tried using a DS2438 1-Wire Smart Battery Monitor chip with a 12V lead acid battery. Simon

I have not used this device - but have look at Maxim's APP note 125.
monkeytennis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:49 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have already read this appnote but unfortunately it only details the hardware adjustments necessary for using a higher voltage battery pack and not how to use a battery with a greater capacity.

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: