CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Out of RAM if too FEW bytes are #reserved !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RossJ

Out of RAM if too FEW bytes are #reserved !!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:43 am     Reply with quote

I have written a bootloader (for a 16F876A) in assembler which uses 19 bytes of bank 0 and all of bank 2. In my C application, I have used #reserve to prevent the compiler from using this RAM as follows:

#reserve 0x020 : 0x030
#reserve 0x070 : 0x071
#reserve 0x110 : 0x16F

When I compile, I receive the 'Not enough RAM for all variables' error message. If I change the middle range to '0x70 : 0x76' (or say '0x68 : 0x71') it compiles fine. Why does the compiler fail to allocate RAM when there is more of it available? I have to reduce the available RAM before the compiler can allocate all variables to it!!!

Appart from the ranges mentioned above, there are no large arrays or such in the C program (nothing bigger than 6 bytes). Also, there are about 20 bytes of unallocated RAM at the top of bank 1 (below the 0xF0 common area). I am not using 16 bit pointers, so I don't expect the compiler to use bank 3 without me telling it to.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this likely to be a bug in the compiler, or am I just doing something stupid? I am using the latest PCW 3.207, but it was the same in 3.200.
Gerrit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:49 am     Reply with quote

Why are you preventing that the ram is being used ?

After the boorloader is finisched all the ram could be availible
for the program again.

Regards,

Gerrit
RossJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:15 am     Reply with quote

The bootloader also has functionality akin to a BIOS (serial, LCD support and a couple of other things). Since I don't have the space to duplicate the functionality, I provide access from the C application to several of the bootloaders functions. Hence the RAM is still required by the boot loader.

Note that this is not really the issue I am raising...
Ttelmah

Re: Out of RAM if too FEW bytes are #reserved !!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:47 am     Reply with quote

RossJ wrote:
I have written a bootloader (for a 16F876A) in assembler which uses 19 bytes of bank 0 and all of bank 2. In my C application, I have used #reserve to prevent the compiler from using this RAM as follows:

#reserve 0x020 : 0x030
#reserve 0x070 : 0x071
#reserve 0x110 : 0x16F

When I compile, I receive the 'Not enough RAM for all variables' error message. If I change the middle range to '0x70 : 0x76' (or say '0x68 : 0x71') it compiles fine. Why does the compiler fail to allocate RAM when there is more of it available? I have to reduce the available RAM before the compiler can allocate all variables to it!!!

Appart from the ranges mentioned above, there are no large arrays or such in the C program (nothing bigger than 6 bytes). Also, there are about 20 bytes of unallocated RAM at the top of bank 1 (below the 0xF0 common area). I am not using 16 bit pointers, so I don't expect the compiler to use bank 3 without me telling it to.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this likely to be a bug in the compiler, or am I just doing something stupid? I am using the latest PCW 3.207, but it was the same in 3.200.

I suspect the poblem may be that the compiler wants a given number of consecutive addresses, for things like the interrupt data store, and the scratch area. It by default places the former at the bottom of the space it has available, and probably checks first for the 'size' it thinks it needs. It'd only take it's expectations to be one byte less than the amount really needed, and this figure to be the amount between address 30, and 70, for it to then find that it can't fit the block into the available space. Presumably reducing the space by one byte (or more), then forces the compiler to instead place this data above 80.
Personally, I'd allways be inclined to keep such declarations as one block, and (say) use 1A0 to 1FF for example, allowing the bank to be changed once when you enter your code, and back when you exit.
I'd also use the device editor, and check that the 70 address, is not in the area set as the C scratch area (it is normally up in this region). Finally, I'd also consider reserving F0:F1 as well, since though the compiler should know this is in the shared area, I'd never 'assume' that it did...

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: