CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PCM Call Tree Info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Hayward

PCM Call Tree Info
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:23 am     Reply with quote

I am using a 16F877 with PCM and MPLAB with an Olimex ICD clone. I am in the same camp as many, realizing now that I need to go back and optimize out a bunch of my code, in order to fit the code into the ROM, and more-importantly to this posting, minimize the RAM usage.

The postings on the forum have been very helpful, especially those of "PCM Programmer."

My current info is the following:

ROM used: 5154 (63\%)
Largest free fragment is 2048
RAM used: 82 (47\%) at main() level
161 (92\%) worst case
Stack: 7 locations

I'd like to study the "worst case" RAM used area above, using the suggestion in the manual of "reviewing the calling tree via ALT-T." I'm using MPLAB, and am a little lost as to where this feature is. Perhaps this is a reference to PCW (only)? (Hint to CCS: Perhaps the manual can mention this a little better?)

Is there a way to review the calling tree in my situation?

This extremely inexpensive combination (ICD / CCS-PCM) has been nothing short of "absolutely fantastic."

Thanks in advance.

Regards / 73,
Roger Hayward
ARS KA7EXM

Re: PCM Call Tree Info
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:14 am     Reply with quote

:=I am using a 16F877 with PCM and MPLAB with an Olimex ICD clone. I am in the same camp as many, realizing now that I need to go back and optimize out a bunch of my code, in order to fit the code into the ROM, and more-importantly to this posting, minimize the RAM usage.
:=
:=The postings on the forum have been very helpful, especially those of "PCM Programmer."
:=My current info is the following:
:= ROM used: 5154 (63\%)
:= Largest free fragment is 2048
:= RAM used: 82 (47\%) at main() level
:= 161 (92\%) worst case
:= Stack: 7 locations
:=I'd like to study the "worst case" RAM used area above, using the suggestion in the manual of "reviewing the calling tree via ALT-T." I'm using MPLAB, and am a little lost as to where this feature is. Perhaps this is a reference to PCW (only)? (Hint to CCS: Perhaps the manual can mention this a little better?)
:=Is there a way to review the calling tree in my situation?
:=This extremely inexpensive combination (ICD / CCS-PCM) has been nothing short of "absolutely fantastic."
:=Thanks in advance.
:=Regards / 73,
:= Roger Hayward
:= ARS KA7EXM
The call tree, appears as a text file, with the extension .tre, which can be opened inside MPLAB.
How 'legible' the file is, will depend on the text editor you open it with (it uses a couple of codes for the tabs and spacing, which some editors may display oddly). However in general you can make it work quite well using the search and replace feature in allmost any editor, to replace these with reasonable spaces.
In MPLAB, if you go to the option 'enviroment setup', and select the font as 'OEM', it should display the tree in a manner very similar to the behaviour in PCW. :-)

Best Wishes

Re: PCM Call Tree Info
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Upon your reply, I just tried that (successfully)....turned on the check-box under the setup options, re-compiled, loaded the file. And yes, those control characters are interesting.

This will be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Regards / 73,
Roger Hayward
ARS KA7EXM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: