CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

3 or 4 D / C batteries to power the PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

3 or 4 D / C batteries to power the PIC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:37 am     Reply with quote

is it better to have 4.5 volts or 6 volts without a voltage regulator? I plan on running 3 or 4 long life D batteries, but I would really like to get away without using a voltage regulator.

Could I put some diodes on the battery lines to keep the tech from hurting the sustem from putting the batteries in backwards?

Nick
valemike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:44 am     Reply with quote

At my place, we use 2 1.5V AAA batteries in series. Looking at the schematic, we don't have a diode to prevent damage from reversed batteries.

I run it without the brownout reset off, since the 16LF627A will not work below 4.x volts if it's on.

The PICDEM-2 Plus has a reference circuit for using a voltage regulator and a 9V battery, perhaps even some diodes. I run it all the time with a 9V battery, but by the end of the day, it is drained.

Wouldn't a voltage regulator end up wasting more current?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:59 am     Reply with quote

valemike wrote:

Wouldn't a voltage regulator end up wasting more current?

yes, thats why I dont want to use one.
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:00 am     Reply with quote

a google search said that 6 volts could be to much for my clock, so I think I will stick with 4.5volts @ 18,000mah.

Nick
valemike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:11 am     Reply with quote

have you considered going to the nanowatt 16LF (or 18) series? You won't need such big batteries if you do that. Unless of course, you're other peripherals need the 4.5V.
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:15 am     Reply with quote

I'm going to use the low power pic Pic16f373, its just the extra crap thats going to run up the current.

Personally I'd rather just run this setup off the AC line, but the head engineer says there is to much noise on the line and it would be easier/safer to do it with batteries. The last design they had is failing on the site, but they wont let me see the design or let know the details of the failure.

Nick
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Could I put some diodes on the battery lines to keep the tech
from hurting the sustem from putting the batteries in backwards?

You could do this with a Schottky diode such as BAT54 (200 ma max)
but that will cost you a voltage drop of .40v at 10ma. See the data
sheet for the voltage drop at various currents:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/BA/BAT54.pdf
You can also use a reversed P-channel FET as discussed in the
following thread. There is no voltage drop with this method.
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19580

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:20 am     Reply with quote

If I need a stable 5V (e.g. when I want to use A/D) then I use a LP2950CZ-5.0. It works from 5.2V input and the standby op. current is as low as 75uA.
Jeff King

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

Ti makes a very low quescent current linear regulator. I believe DigiKey stocks it.

D cells typically start out at around 1.55 or 1.6Volts, and end of life at around 0.9V, depending on how the battery maker wants to spec it.

So make sure you consider this. You also can use 6.0V if you put a diode in series with it, and that also gives you the reverse polarity protection. Would work from 5.5V to 3.1V over the life of the batteries.

D alkaline cells are great, cheap and a heck of alot of energy. Also make your product "feel" expensive since they weigh so much! Just be careful shipping a product with them installed as they are powerful missles at the hands of UPS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: