CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

low power LED less than 2ma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

low power LED less than 2ma
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:40 am     Reply with quote

My search on mouser only gives alot of 2ma LEDS, but nothing less

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&Ne=400&terms=low+current&Ntt=*low*%2b*current*&Ns=SField&N=430&crc=false

I want the lowest power LED or possibly an LED to run off the AC line.

I guess I cant run an LED off an 110VAC without a transformer and rectifier...

Nick
rnielsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:03 am     Reply with quote

I, personally, haven't connected an LED up to 110VAC but I'm sure it's possible. I believe if you calculated your limiting resistor correctly that you could keep the current within specs. Also, you would probably need a diode in series with the LED to block the reverse voltage, the 'negative' half of the sine wave, so that the LED would not be destroyed.

Ronald
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:04 am     Reply with quote

How bright does it have to be?
You can run less current and the LED will be less bright.

If a microcontroller is controlling it, you can also PWM the LED and get by with less current.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:24 am     Reply with quote

Here is how you do it. Be careful of the reverse voltage on the LED. You may need a diode in series to prevent reverse breakdown. This works well. I have used it for many years. However this may expose the user / technician to the AC line directly. Be very careful in it's application!

Steve H.

[url]
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/91008b.pdf
[/url]
Gabriel Caffese

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Nick,

Just one question: If you want to connect the led directly to the mains, why are you searching for a low power one ?

Gabriel.-
Ttelmah

Re: low power LED less than 2ma
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:13 am     Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
My search on mouser only gives alot of 2ma LEDS, but nothing less

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&Ne=400&terms=low+current&Ntt=*low*%2b*current*&Ns=SField&N=430&crc=false

I want the lowest power LED or possibly an LED to run off the AC line.

I guess I cant run an LED off an 110VAC without a transformer and rectifier...

Nick

You can run any LED off less current than it's 'rating'. All that happens is that it gives less light. The 'point' about low current designs, is that they are built to give more light from a particular current, usually by reducing the thickness of sme of the internal structures, and threby limiting the maximum current that can be used.
The big question is how much light you actually 'need'. For instance, I run the Hewlett Packard HLMPQ 150 LED's (rating 1mA typical) on a piece of astronomical equipment, where all that is required, is enough light to know that the unit is 'active', and anything brighter would cause loss of dark adaption. At 0.08mA, these are bright enough for this application. However for a similar application in the daytime, more current and light would be needed. If your LED, needs to be bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight, then you will probably need to be delivering 2mA, and may even need a brighter LED, and more current.

Best Wishes
SherpaDoug

How about Neon?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Have you considered using a neon bulb instead? They are inherently low current high voltage high reliability devices. Look for a NE2.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

If you are trying to turn on an led as power indicator, I agree with SherpaDoug that neon lamp is a better choice for that purpose.

But if you insist on led, you can connect a capacitor to drop voltage. Just using a resistor will require a big size resistor to dissipate the heat. The AC RMS current can be calculated using this formula.

Irms = Vac * (2 * pi * Freq * Cap)

I will add a 1K resistor to block the worst situation current rush. I used this for my night lamp using blue leds.

Code:
      +--------------| |---------------+
      :           1uF/240V             :
      :                                :
      :                             +--+--+
      o                             :     :
                                   ---   ---
   AC 240V                    led  \ /   / \
                                   ---   ---
      o                             :     :
      :                             +--+--+
      :                                :
      :             1k/1W              :
      +-------------/\/\/\-------------+

However, if you are trying to control the led output attached to the AC main using the pic, it would be a different story.

-- dj
cbstieff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:08 am     Reply with quote

Just a note on LED selection. First I would choose the LED that produces the most Mcd per mA of current draw. 2ma LEDs typically produce less than 20 mCd of light. White LEDs are readily available that produce more than 10,000mCd at 20ma. The lightoutput of a LED is closely related to the current draw. the 10,000mcd rated LED will produce about 800mCd at 2ma or 16 times the amout of light of the 2ma rated LED.

Check out some of the high output LEDs available at:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. I have learned more for this forum than I have from my classes. I'm thinking about pulsing the LED.

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: