CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

BYTE and delay_us(x) function

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trampas

BYTE and delay_us(x) function
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:20 am     Reply with quote

First off I know that I am doing things CCS never inteneded...

The first thing is that I have my own datatype definitions where I define a BYTE as a signed int8. Well in CCS' device header files they define a BYTE as an unsigned value. Therefore I remove the definition from the device header file so that my typedef will work. This may be a source of problems for me, but I am not sure...

Well I have noticed in latest revision of the compiler that the delay_us function stopped working as expected. That is I did a delay_us(200) and the results was not 200us. but more like just a couple. Therefore I was figuring that CCS may have a been using a signed value for the delay_us(x) function but I am not sure. I replaced my call with delay_us((UBYTE)200) and now things seem to be normal.

I have noticed this problem with compiler 3.206, I think 3.151 worked without the usigned typecasting.

Maybe someone can answer how the delay_us(x) is implemented? Is it just a macro? Would it be possible to make the code a little neater by including the macros in the header files? That is have a compiler generated typedef for FOSC which is set using the #use delay(clock=40000000) pragma. Then just have the delay_us and delay_ms as macros where the user can modify.

Thanks
Trampas
Trampas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

After more testing I found that the delay_us() function does not work correctly in 3.191 but appears to in 3.206. This might be problems with interrupt context saving or other problems...

As you guys can imagine, I am now playing compiler crap shooting trying to get a version of the compiler which compiles and exectues code correctly as that 3.207 does not appear to work...

Trampas
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
The first thing is that I have my own datatype definitions where I define a BYTE as a signed int8. Well in CCS' device header files they define a BYTE as an unsigned value. Therefore I remove the definition from the device header file so that my typedef will work. This may be a source of problems for me, but I am not sure...

Come on Trampas. CCS uses BYTE for variable declarations in most
of their driver files. If you change a basic data type into something else,
you're just begging for errors. It's like throwing a wrench into the
gears. Doing this invalidates any other testing that you're doing, IMO.
Trampas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:20 am     Reply with quote

I try not to use any of CCS' drivers, other than compiler defined functions. I have enough problems with the compiler, I do need to add debuging the drivers as well.

My question was more along the lines of how does CCS handle stuff like printf() and other internal functions. That is I assume that the compiler has these function defined like most compilers as a library. Therefore this BYTE thing would not be an issue. The same is true of the delay_us() function, that is if it is implemented properly it does not care about the BYTE defintion.

Sure I could go through my years of code libraries and replace BYTE with some other definition, but that is kind of defeating the point of having type defintions.

All I am trying to say is that the compiler is a great compiler, but I think it is getting about time for CCS to sit down and think for a minute about testing and so forth. That is I do not want to be a compiler debugger but CCS makes each customer a tester.

Trampas
Neutone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:36 am     Reply with quote

It sounds like you should think about upgrading your years of code libraries and replace BYTE with some other definition. The native format of the PIC is an 8 bit unsigned integer. That is what CCS calls a byte. If your code libraries use 8 bit signed they are less efficient than they would be using the native number format of the PIC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: