CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

what is WDT, how to use it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

what is WDT, how to use it?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:43 am     Reply with quote

Could anyone explain to me what is WDT, and in what situation can i use it, and how to use it?
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Watchdog timer. It can reset your processor if your code goes "into the weeds". Look up the section in the datasheet for a better explaination.
valemike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:23 am     Reply with quote

If you have no serious mistakes in your code, you probably won't need the watchdog timer while in the lab.

However, if you try to get UL to approve it, they will throw all kinds of noise, voltage spikes, etc. onto your circuit to see if it will withstand or recover from it. That is when your code can go haywire. So you'll need to turn on your watchdog timer. Also, as i've learned from some in-house testing with some test tools we rented, I found that if you spike your incoming voltage very quickly, not even the watchdog can recover your circuit. For such a thing, you'll need to enable your "Power-up Timer" (PUT) on the PIC. Why, i don't know.

-Mike
arunb

RE:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:35 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

In my firm I am responsible for designing software and also testing them thoroughly before sending them to the customer for installation.

We usually reduce the primary AC voltage to see the behaviour of the PIC in brownout conditions, but this test is not complete in all respects. ( I use the Power up timer , brownout detect, and the WDT in all my projects).

I would like to do all the tests you mentioned previously, can you please explain in detail how I can reproduce them in my lab.

thank you
arun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: