CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

surge protection for the PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

surge protection for the PIC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:52 pm     Reply with quote

This is more of an EE question than a compiler question, so please direct me to a good forum like this one, but for EE questions.

Here is my question, I will be installing a pic and running off 120 vac fromt he wall, I was told by the head engineer that I should install some MOV to the system. After looking up the MOV I'm still not sure what side to get.

I know I should get atleast one rate for 150volts. Atleast thats what I think. All the help would be great!

Nick
newguy

MOV size
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

If you put an MOV rated for 150Vrms on the primary, it should be fine. If you're really paranoid about surges, then you can also put another MOV somewhere downstream of the mains, likely at the input to whatever regulator you're using.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

the pic is going to turn a solid state relay on which start the motors. Should I place any MOV on those lines? could I put a diode on the pin going out relay, shouldnt that only let the voltage go in one direction?

Nick
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

If you are running the 120VAC through a transformer to say 12VAC and then rectifying and regulating to 5VDC for the PIC I would put a MOV on the 12VAC line. The transformer is designed to cope with the crap on the 120VAC line. They have been building transformers for over 100 years and they know how to do it well. However the transformer will pass the crap through to the 12V rectifier and the rectifier may be the first part to fail. Putting the MOV on the 12VAC line will protect the recitifier and everything downstream of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

If I used a AC to DC transformer to power the pic would it still let crap in? would I have to place the MOV before the transformer kinda like a surge power strip?

Nick
rnielsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

If it was me, I would put the MOV on the primary side of the transformer. If you think about it, the power strips, that you use on your computers, usually have surge protection built into them. They are, pretty much, on the primary side of your electronic equipment's power supplies.
newguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

All the suggestions you've been getting regarding where to put the MOV (primary, secondary, etc.) are all good. You can pretty much place it at any one of these spots, or both if you want. What will determine where you place the MOV is probably cost, though. See what's available, and how much they cost. If a 150V MOV is cheaper than an equivalent (energy-absorption wise) 15V MOV, go for the 150V device on the primary.

You mentioned that you'll be driving a relay(s) with the PIC - you'll definitely need a flyback diode.

e.g.

+12 V
|
|
|-----------------
| |
| ---------
| ^
Relay coil / \ flyback diode
| -----
| |
|-----------------
|
Transistor -----------PIC
|
|
Ground

Sorry for the crappy ascii art. The flyback diode is to prevent the relay's back emf from damaging the transistor or the PIC.

One more suggestion: I can't remember where I found this information, but an application note I came across some time ago recommended that instead of a flyback diode, a TVS (transient voltage suppressor) works better at eliminating relay chatter and thus extending the life of the relay's contacts. A bidirectional TVS is really just two zener diodes head-to-head. For instance, if your relay is driven by 12 V, the app note suggested that a 24 V TVS would do the trick very nicely. It's something that I've adopted for my products, and it works quite well. For TVS's, go to digikey.com and look up the SMBJ family (i.e. 24V - SMBJ24).

While I'm at it, also be very careful where you route signal lines on the pcb. Keep signal lines away from the high voltage side, as transients created by the motor starting & stopping will induce some pretty ugly stuff on signal lines if you're not careful. One of the most frustrating problems I had with a controller was it constantly resetting every time the motor it was controlling kicked in & out. Turns out that I had inadvertently routed the line from the ICSP header to /MCLR parallel to one of the main in lines (I think it was the neutral). Get this - they were only parallel for about 1/4", and were on opposite faces of the board, but the motor noise was enough to reset the PIC.

edit: no matter what I do, I can't get the crappy ascii image to show up properly. You'll have to use your imagination.
Ttelmah

Re: surge protection for the PIC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:12 am     Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
This is more of an EE question than a compiler question, so please direct me to a good forum like this one, but for EE questions.

Here is my question, I will be installing a pic and running off 120 vac fromt he wall, I was told by the head engineer that I should install some MOV to the system. After looking up the MOV I'm still not sure what side to get.

I know I should get atleast one rate for 150volts. Atleast thats what I think. All the help would be great!

Nick

The 'point' about a MOV, is that it conducts really fast, when a voltage above it's rating is met. You can use one or more anywhere, if you know the 'normal' voltage range, to clamp excessive voltages. The answer to how to do it, would depend so much on the likely range of noise, and how much protection the system actually needs.
The advantage to putting it after the transformer, is that the transformer itself, will help to filter high frequencies. The downside, is that the output voltage has allready risen when it triggers. In either case, the selected voltage, needs to exceed the _peak_ voltage expected on the line. A 150v unit, would be triggering far more often than is really wanted, and would probably fail. You should get the actual data sheet for the MOV concerned though, since some are rated at a 'nominal' voltage, while others use 'peak' voltage ratings.
I have a couple of systems here that were built to go into a fairly 'rugged' enviroment. They start with a spark gap across the incoming rails. then a series resistor, fuse, and a MOV. The two rails then pass through a 'common mode' choke, and into the transformer, which is a toroidal design, specifically wound to block high freqencies. Then there is a fuse in the AC secondary, and another MOV across the lines. This then feeds to the regulator, and into the actual DC rail. On the DC rail, there is a crowbar circuit, triggering an SCR, which cnnects across the incoming supply at the same point as the MOV.
The series resistor, in the primary line, is a special high voltage type, designed to limit the current flowing through the MOV, to a level it can stand.
If you are driving relays, consider both a flyback diode, on the coil, and possibly a resistive/capacitive snubber to help the contacts, and reduce noise. Alternatively, look hard at the modern SSR units.
The units were tested up to 250000v, which they survived without damage, except blowing the primary fuse. Latter, one of the units, survived a lightning strike, directly on the instrument array. It destroyed the primary fuse, and the wires feeding in to the spark gap, but the unit itself still ran. after the fuse was replaced, and a new lead attached. The wire damage, gave an idea of just how much current had flowed (a wire nominally rated at 13A, had litterally 'vaporised', leaving a copper stain down the box several inches away...).

Best Wishes
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:29 am     Reply with quote

thanks for all the great information! This gives me a great head start in the problem.

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: