CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Double line characters on LCD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willie Erasmus

Double line characters on LCD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:59 am     Reply with quote

Hi all

Does anybody know how to write double line characters on a LCD? Can somebody tell me how to do it?

Thanks
Willie

Re: Double line characters on LCD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:40 am     Reply with quote

If you use lcd.c then you have to insert a simple newline:
"First line\nSecond line"

If you don't use lcd.c then you have to set display address to 64 to access the 1st char of 2nd line.

:=Hi all
:=
:=Does anybody know how to write double line characters on a LCD? Can somebody tell me how to do it?
:=Thanks
:=Willie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:44 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Tomi

...but I didn't put myself clearly. I want to know how to write double-high characters on a LCD?

Thanks
Willie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:08 am     Reply with quote

Double-high means e.g. 10 mm characters on a 5mm LCD panel or do you have a graphic LCD panel?
If you have an alphanumeric LCD then I think you have a limited choice: you can define "I(left line) I(right line) _(underscore) _(upperscore) \ and / characters onto the 8-character user code space, so e.g. "MU" looks like this:
I\/I I I
I I I_I

I think it is a hard way. Much better to buy a 10mm chr height LCD Smile .
If you have a graphic LCD then it is more easier Smile : e.g. I implemented 16-point Courier font (cca. 8mm height on a 0.5mm pitch LCD) in a 18F452.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:28 am     Reply with quote

:=Hi all
:=Does anybody know how to write double line characters on a LCD? Can somebody tell me how to do it?
:=Thanks
:=Willie

Hi there, am I right in thinking that you want to define a character set which uses 4 characters (ie double the size in each direction)?

If so you need to define four characters in the LED module's user RAM for each double-size char you want to display on the screen. Place them two on the top, two on the bottom to get the char you want. I have not done this, but it must be very easy to do, look on the internet for routines to define characters in RAM, or write you own. there is plenty of information around. I beleive that you will have to write a new four chars to RAM for every char you wish to display, as there is not enough user ram to define four times the ASCII table.

Hope this points you in the right direction

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Of course theoretically you have right but keep in mind that the rest of the LCD panels (or at least the rest of those I know Smile ) have only a small user RAM to store 8 user characters what means 2 possible 2-size chars to display simple texts e.g. "papa", "mama", "byby" etc.

:=:=Hi all
:=:=
:=:=Does anybody know how to write double line characters on a LCD? Can somebody tell me how to do it?
:=:=
:=:=Thanks
:=:=Willie
:=Hi there, am I right in thinking that you want to define a character set which uses 4 characters (ie double the size in each direction)?
:=If so you need to define four characters in the LED module's user RAM for each double-size char you want to display on the screen. Place them two on the top, two on the bottom to get the char you want. I have not done this, but it must be very easy to do, look on the internet for routines to define characters in RAM, or write you own. there is plenty of information around. I beleive that you will have to write a new four chars to RAM for every char you wish to display, as there is not enough user ram to define four times the ASCII table.
:=Hope this points you in the right direction
:=Richard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone have, or is there, a file LIKE lcd.h for graphic LCDs. Could you post a link if a file like this is around.

Thanks ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: