CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CAN -- Need the ground pin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valemike

CAN -- Need the ground pin?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:07 am     Reply with quote

The way I understand it, a CAN connection only requires two pins: CANTX and CANRX.

However, in the CCS demo kit, they use a 3-pin connector: CANTX, CANRX, and Ground.

Is it really necessary to connect every device's Ground to each other Question The way i thought it was is that all you needed was CANTX and CANRX pins and they are differentials. Oh well, i'm confused.

-Mike
rnielsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

As with every circuit, you need a supply line and a return line. If you try to push current into a pin, that current needs to return to the supply or else it's like trying to stuff it into a dead end. Tieing the grounds together enables this to make a complete loop. If you need to keep certain equipment isolated from each other then you need to use opto-isolators or some other type of isolation protocol. Just like when you use RS232, you need TXD, RXD and GND as the bare minimum signals.

Ronald
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know CAN bus, but CANTX and CANRX don't sound like differential signals. Are there two pins each for CANTX and CANRX? If you had a differential signal such as RS485's AB pair then you may not need a ground. But if you have one pin to transmit and one pin to receive they are not differential signals and you need ground.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Sherp and Rnielsen for the feedback.

I sent an email to tech.support@microchip.com and am awaiting the response.

What has me confused is that Microchip's App. Note AN1215 has a schematic where the CAN connector to the outside world uses only the two lines CANH and CANL of the MCP2551 transceiver.

-Mike
dyeatman

CAN Network Connections
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

CAN Networks are differential and the ground DOES NOT need to be connected, however, the CAN specification recommends that you do.

Proper bus termination is also very improtant in CAN just like it is in RS485 diferential networks.

Here is a design document that mibght be helpful:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_CAN.html
Yash

Re: CAN -- Need the ground pin?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

valemike wrote:
The way I understand it, a CAN connection only requires two pins: CANTX and CANRX.

However, in the CCS demo kit, they use a 3-pin connector: CANTX, CANRX, and Ground.

Is it really necessary to connect every device's Ground to each other Question The way i thought it was is that all you needed was CANTX and CANRX pins and they are differentials. Oh well, i'm confused.

-Mike

I seem to recall (from memory..so could be wrong) that typ. CAN transceivers spec up to 7V common mode
valemike

CCS's reply...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Here is CCS's reply for me to share:

Code:

This message is a reply to CCS e-mail id: 4G4399

The ground may not be needed.  If you can conect it to your slave device it will ensure the slave ground it not too far from the protoboard.  There is a limit as to how far the grounds can be be different for each other.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

7V is the ground difference spec from RS485. CAN probably just copied the 485 spec on that point.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: