CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ideas for programming multiple pics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmeyer

ideas for programming multiple pics
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a ciruit board that has four identical circuits on it, each containing a PIC16F72 (all contain identical code) part. I am looking for ideas on how I can program all 4 parts through one connector (ie db9) so that users of this product can update the firmware in the feild. I need some thing that is simple to do so anyone with limited technical ability can do it. All ideas would be appreciated.
MGP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

16F72's can't write their own memory (Flash) can they? That would rule out some type of bootloader.

If not, your only choice will be some sort of ICSP connection. That would probably require common signals for VPP/MCLR, VDD, VSS, PGC, PGD and a select signal for each PIC in your circuit. That would take 9 connections. You'd also need some logic on your board to hold each of the non-programming PICs in a RESET state while the other is programmed.

To make it easy for the end user you are most likely going to have to come up with your own programming hardware and software to make it a "one click" operation. You might be able to get the source code to an existing programmer and modify it to select each PIC individually and program/verify them one at a time. Not impossible, but not trivial either...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: