CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Serial to Compact Flash interface for use on PPC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blak3r

Serial to Compact Flash interface for use on PPC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

I have a circuit that has a serial data stream output. I'd like to use the Compact Flash port on my pocket pc as a serial port thus allowing my device to communicate with the pocket pc through a com port.

An easy solution would be to get a compact flash to rs232 card and then just hook a cable up to my device. But, i'm developping an application demo which i'd rather not have to have my device sloppily connected using a cable and double sided tape to the back of the pda.

I read the spec sheet for CF and i'm confused by what i'd need to do with most of the i/o pins and configuration registers.

I've found a lot of information on how to hook up a PIC to a CF Card. But, my application is a little more complicated since i need to interface with a CF Host controller that's on the Pocket PC. If anyone has any information on how to do this please let me know.

Thanks.

http://www.blakerobertson.com
Hans Wedemeyer

How about Bluetooth
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Just a thought....

If your PPC has BT then I should think that would be an even better solution.

I've been using BlueRadio's BT modules... these are small units and I can recommend them.

http://www.blueradios.com/hardware.htm#BRC11

Hans W

bluetooth eh?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:02 am     Reply with quote

Interesting idea... I'll check out the pda later today. But, i think since i got the wireless lan option it doesn't have bluetooth.

When you use one of these bluetooth chips can you use a standard driver to make the device show up as a standard com port?

If you could, please let me know what is required on the windows side of things.

If it does then that isn't a bad idea.
Hans Wedemeyer

Re: bluetooth eh?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Interesting idea... I'll check out the pda later today. But, i think since i got the wireless lan option it doesn't have bluetooth.

When you use one of these bluetooth chips can you use a standard driver to make the device show up as a standard com port?

If you could, please let me know what is required on the windows side of things.

If it does then that isn't a bad idea.

No drivers needed...
Most PDA's with Bluetooth are sporting the Widcom stack.

I just purchased a cheap iPaq HP1945, it does not have Wireless lan, but if needed I can connect to the network with Bluetooth.

The easiest "service" to use is the Serial port service, speed up to 921kbs (note actual through-put may be less ), I'm using 230,400 and it's solid.

All you will need to do in the Widcom UI is "discover i.e. search for" your device on the PDA, then enable the Serial port Service and your are connected.

In the Windows CE OS it will show up as a COMx port.
From then on it's as if you are using a Normal hardware RS-232 port. Use a previous program on the PDA that expected a COM port not changes needed.

Hans Wedemeyer
pat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Hans,

These devices look very nice. I am struggling to find a detailed data sheet for the device. Is there any datasheet more detailed than

http://www.blueradios.com/BR-C19.pdf?

Also are you using the UART interface? I notice there is an SPI interface, but says for internal use only - not sure what that means? There is also a PCM interface, do you use that?

I'm sure these pins are defined somewhere, but I can't find it!

Sorry this is off topic.

Cheers,
Patrick
pat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:23 am     Reply with quote

Can anyone help me please - I'm wondering if there's a detailed datasheet for these deviecs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: