CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD2 & CCS IDE??

View previous topic :: View next topic  

ICD2 & CCS IDE??
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

For the last three days I've been seriously considering the purchase of the CCS compiler tool. But about 5 months ago, I bought the ICD2 product not realizing I'd need C capability. The CCS compiler sounds great and certainly has a great price. But I suspect that I cannot use the ICD2 within the CCS IDE. Anyone care to comment on whether I am correct or not?

Also, can anybody identify the strengths and weaknesses of the two IDEs? I'm quite familiar with MPLAB, but I will be starting cold with the CCS IDE. How is its debugging features as compared to MPLAB? Does anyone know how debugging of floating point values is supported in the IDEs? (I have read of some correctable problems in the FAQ with MPLAB 6.5 and the plug-in.)
valemike

Re: ICD2 & CCS IDE??
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
For the last three days I've been seriously considering the purchase of the CCS compiler tool. But about 5 months ago, I bought the ICD2 product not realizing I'd need C capability. The CCS compiler sounds great and certainly has a great price. But I suspect that I cannot use the ICD2 within the CCS IDE. Anyone care to comment on whether I am correct or not?

You can use the ICD-2 with the CCS compiler, and run it on the MPLAB IDE. I haven't had any problems as far as program execution and routine single stepping. However, MPLAB IDE does not interpret CCS's floating point correctly, so you would expect to see meaningless numbers if you try to put a "watch" on that float variable. What I usually do is do a printf() over the serial port to see what float value i really do have.

Also, can anybody identify the strengths and weaknesses of the two IDEs? I'm quite familiar with MPLAB, but I will be starting cold with the CCS IDE. How is its debugging features as compared to MPLAB? Does anyone know how debugging of floating point values is supported in the IDEs? (I have read of some correctable problems in the FAQ with MPLAB 6.5 and the plug-in.)

I don't use the CCS IDE much, but I believe it does interpret floating point properly.

If you are on a shoestring budget, you can just get the command line debugger compiler (not PCW/PCWH), and use it under MPLAB IDE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: