CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC18F6520

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesjl

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PIC18F6520
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:35 am     Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am having trouble using a PIC16F877A as it only has one hardware UART. The 18F6520 has two hardware UARTs. Does the PCWH V3.190 complier support both hardware UARTs? Do they have interupts controlling incoming and outgoing data? Do they support an ENABLE pin? What about stream names? Will the complier use the second hardware UART if I specify the correct I/O pins?

My application is communication critical and I think that the timing issues will go away if I use hardware UARTs with interupts for both ports.

Is there anything else that I should consider in moving from the 16F to the 18F uP?

Does anyone have a good source of information, code and schematics for using hardware handshaking with RS232 ports? At the moment my comms is asynchronous and if I could synchronise the Tx and Rx things should go smoother.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Jason.
SteveS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:47 am     Reply with quote

Search the archives - there is a lot of info on this.

In short CCS does support the two ports - I think the readme file has info you should read. Yes, you can use separate interrupts - it is not built in, but you build them like in the serial interrupt examples in the CCS examples or examples in this forum.

Caveat! Some forum membesr have noted problems with the two port parts - so read thru past posts. I've had good luck, so far, but it may be something subtle.

About the biggest problem in moving to the 18F part is figuring out what to do with the extra code space! You do need the PCH compiler and port addresses change. It's pretty painless.

- SteveS
Haplo

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:02 am     Reply with quote

In addition to Steve's comments, you might want to look at this post in regards to upwards migration:

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19167&
Kasper

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:59 am     Reply with quote

I had trouble earlier, due to own stupidity, check my post

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18613&highlight=rs232
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: