CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

rs485 real example basics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest_X44

rs485 real example basics
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:37 am     Reply with quote

I've searched this forum for how I should start designing a basic pic-based circuit with rs485.
By basic I mean to provide me the least functionality of it. What 485 drivers should I use, and how should this be addressed?
I'm not after fancy features, just down-to-earth basics.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in this forum that's just basic enough for me to learn.
I know C and CCS and have limited experience in designing circuits based on 16f87x devices and rs232, but not 485.
Maybe someone can provide some leads.
Thank you.

Re: rs485 real example basics
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Guest_X44 wrote:
I've searched this forum for how I should start designing a basic pic-based circuit with rs485.
By basic I mean to provide me the least functionality of it. What 485 drivers should I use, and how should this be addressed?
I'm not after fancy features, just down-to-earth basics.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in this forum that's just basic enough for me to learn.
I know C and CCS and have limited experience in designing circuits based on 16f87x devices and rs232, but not 485.
Maybe someone can provide some leads.
Thank you.

u can use SP481 from sipex... to connect this rs485 driver u need to connect the rx/tx pin of pic to ro/di pin of 485 driver... while re/de pin should be connected to one of the pic i/o... this pin will control d xmission/reception of data...
Haplo

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:28 am     Reply with quote

I've used the DS75176 RS485 driver extensively and I'm very satisfied with it. To drive it you need to define the #use RS232 statement with the XMIT,RCV and ENABLE pins, connect the PIC's RX/TX to the driver's RX/TX and connect the ENABLE pin to the both Transmit_Enable/Receive_Enable pins of the driver.
Guest_X44

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you. This forum is giving me leads.

Does anyone have a driver to share for the DS75176 RS485 driver?

Also, do I need any level converters? Any more devices to connect to to complete a basic circuit? What about the crystal? What freq. should I use?

A _simple_ working circuit and code would be of great help. Even just sending/receiving a character or two just to demonstrate the basics is enough.
Haplo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

The whole thing is very straight forward. Yo don't need any drivers (code) or level converters. As for the speed, it depends on the baud rate, whether you are gonna use a hardware or software UART, and any interrupts you might have in your code.
Guest_X44

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

Haplo, et. al,

On the DS75176 what do the RO, RE, DI, DO, RI mean? The specs I have don't say much.

Which pins are used and which of these connect to the PIC and, which of these connect to the outside world?
Is there a standard connector for a rs485? Is it a 9-pin d type male connector? I've seen pc motherboard with such. Which of the driver's pins connects to the d type connector?

Thanks.
Haplo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

DORI and /DORI go to your +/- RS485 lines, RO goes to the PIC's receive, DI to the PIC's send and DE and /RE to the 'enable' pin you have defined in your #use RS232.
Guest_X44

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Haplo.
Another question, there are two (2) / DORIs there. The inverted /DO /RI and the DO RI.
hich of these go to the + and which one to -?
Haplo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

The inverted one goes to -.
Guest_X44

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

Haplo, et. al.

Neutone's web site includes a schematic (http://home.houston.rr.com/neutone/Assorted%20circuits.pdf)
What are those diodes for connected to the MAX483?
Is it at this port that other rs485 circuits (external) can directly connect to?

Are optocouplers necessary (advisable) to isolate the PIC?

Thank you.
Haplo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

Since that is Neutone's circuit I'll let him comment on it, but in general poeple use opto-couplers/diodes for protection. It depends on your application. For example I usually use two 5.6v zener diodes from the DORI and /DORI lines to the ground, along with two 24ohms series resistors.
Guest_X44

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Haplo,

Could you, perhaps, tell me (and maybe for benefit of other newbies) how the protection diodes and resistors and couplers are wired up, acc to your circuit.
Haplo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

As I said, I usually use two 5.6v zener diodes from the DORI and /DORI lines to the ground. I also use two 24ohms resistors in series with the RS486 +/- lines to my driver chip (similar to R23 and R39 in Neutone's design).
Haplo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

And again, the amount of protection you'll need depends heavily on your application. If you want very strong protection, I suggest you to follow Neutone's Design. His circuit is protected against just about anything...over-voltage, spikes, noise, lightning strikes, famine, pestilence,... Very Happy
Neutone

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:29 am     Reply with quote

Haplo wrote:
And again, the amount of protection you'll need depends heavily on your application. If you want very strong protection, I suggest you to follow Neutone's Design. His circuit is protected against just about anything...over-voltage, spikes, noise, lightning strikes, famine, pestilence,... Very Happy

It's not tested aginst famine and pestilence yet. Wink

I have heard of our sales people going to a site after a near lighting strike and selling replacements for all of our competitors product that were fried. Also that circuit I posted should have used transistors to drive the opticouplers. The drive strength of the max part is marginal for driving an opticoupler and it's best not to put that much on the PIC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: