CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Is it possible to have two 16F84A communicating through i2c?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wridmuld

Is it possible to have two 16F84A communicating through i2c?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:46 am     Reply with quote

I am doing a project where I get a value from a A/D converter (pcf8591) into my 16F84. Those values are supposed to be sent to another 16F84, preferrably on the i2c-bus.
Is this possible?

It seems to be possible to make the 16F84 a slave, but nowhere on the net have I found one single example of this.
Or are both devices supposed to be set as masters and somehow poll the bus? And if so - which address should I use?

Does anybody know if that has been done, or how?

It is of course possible to use some other interface, but if i2c is at all possible, I would like to use it.

thx
/Wridmuld
Ttelmah

Re: Is it possible to have two 16F84A communicating through
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Wridmuld wrote:
I am doing a project where I get a value from a A/D converter (pcf8591) into my 16F84. Those values are supposed to be sent to another 16F84, preferrably on the i2c-bus.
Is this possible?

It seems to be possible to make the 16F84 a slave, but nowhere on the net have I found one single example of this.
Or are both devices supposed to be set as masters and somehow poll the bus? And if so - which address should I use?

Does anybody know if that has been done, or how?

It is of course possible to use some other interface, but if i2c is at all possible, I would like to use it.

thx
/Wridmuld

It is 'possible', but not really practical. The 16F84, does not have hardware I2C. As such the whole interface has to be handled in software. Getting the timing right for a slave, would be very difficult indeed. The CCS code does not support this, and even if done, there would be very severe limitations on the master timings, if the software slave was to handle the interface correctly. If you want to do this, you would be far better off selecting a chip that has hardware I2C. Even using 'another interface', will be have significant timing restriction, since there is no hardware UART either...

Best Wishes
rnielsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:33 am     Reply with quote

You could select the 16F87 which has the same pin count, more memory, UART/I2C/SPI interface and also costs LESS. It would be quite easy to have multiple ones connected to the I2C bus.

I have a device where I have a 16F87 communicating with a sensor. There are ten of these units that are connected to the I2C bus. They are each set up for Slave mode. The PIC communicates to the sensors thru descrete I/O pins. I also have an 18F452 set up as the Master to communicate with the ten slaves. The master displays the data on a LCD screen and also to our local network.

This took a bit of playing around with the code for both PIC's but it is quite doable. I used various posts, from this forum, to help with my code. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in here.

Ronald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: