CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PC program to send data file to PIC (to store on EEPROM)??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhog

PC program to send data file to PIC (to store on EEPROM)??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

Help!!

I need to transfer a data file from my PC onto a 24LC64 EEPROM.

I have fought for hours with my Microchip SEEVAL V3.1 EEPROM programmer, but I can't get the darned thing to communicate with my PC (Win XP) .........so I've cut my losses and decided to do it the hard way.

My new plan is to make a Java utility (Java=the only PC compiler available to me Sad ) to open the file and transfer it to a PIC16F876A using RS-232, which in turn will write to the 24LC64.
I imagine I will probably just send one byte, write it to the eeprom, then ask the PC for the next byte...etc.

Before I dive into this unwanted diversion (I dislike Java's commapi serial port drivers), has anyone done this already and be willing to share the code? Or has anyone created the PIC code to recieve a file directly from Hyperterminal ?

Thanks,
Jeff
Neutone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

If you can find a bootloader written in C you should be able to modify it do what you want.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:05 pm     Reply with quote

This fellow has an appropriate bootloader.
http://www.thebytefactory.com
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:28 am     Reply with quote

With the Win9x OS (tm) you can use INP and OUT instructions and with a few transistors resistors and diodes you can program EE parts directly via I2c or SPI from either the serial port or the parallel port. The newer Microsoft (tm) Os es have so called security that prevents this. It can be quickly worked around so it is really no security at all but the work arounds make real time operations with external devices difficult because of bloated Microsoft (tm)path lengths. If you don't have the raw IO speed of Win 9x then you are almost forced to use RS232 or LPT ports via standard drivers for WIN 2000 XP NT(tm).
There is a freeware dll that mimics IN OUT and promises a short path to the parallel register (only) that might get the speed back for the Win 2000 (tm)etc. systems.

(tm) trademarks of Microsoft Corporation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: