CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

New Kid on the block, getting started, general questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk

New Kid on the block, getting started, general questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Greetings all, my name is Kirk.

I'm new to this forum. I hail from the Boston, MA area.

I am currently shifting my scope of development work with PICS, from occassional assembly code over a number of years to part time development. With this shift I actively enter the world of C. Getting into it I wonder why I didn't do so earlier.

I have one major project in the coming months and perhaps something occasional after that.

Anywho... about ramping up. I have been using the MPLAB with new ver.6.40. Have done fine in assembly, with RS232 and I2C projects. Yesterday, I took CCS sample c downloads and compiled and burned code. <a passage after many moments of frustration....hurray!>

I would greatly appreciate support with the following questions?

1) HI-TECH or CCS compilers? < Is this a heretical question on this site?>

I'm inclined to go with CCS given pricing and my current bench success. CCS also has the ICD-S40 debugger - what does that give me
beyond the Simulator function? HI_TECH is significantly more money, do you get more for it? If so, I could go that way, but would I need any advantages at this stage?

2) I plan to try the HI-TECH download sample, today. Is there a problem to have both on board with the MPLAB?

3) What questions should I ask when getting started?

4) What is your recommendation to get rolling, having had a beginners level c course 10 years ago? ( Postings, books, tutorials.... )

I'm excited to join the community of this forum and look forward to collaboration and making my own future contributions to the next new guy who comes along.

Cheers, Kirk
SteveS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't used Hi-Tech, but CCS is very good. I've used it on a variety of PICs and have been well pleased.

on the minus side ---
- Probably the biggest problem is when CCS brings out a new version, there are frequent problems with any new features implemented or new processors supported. Luckily they are generally fixed quickly.
- The second biggest problem I have is the update support - you get 30 days (at last check) of free upgrades - it should be a year (IMHO).

On the plus side ----
- It makes coding the PIC a near joy
- I think it makes very efficient code. I sometimes look at the assembly list and am surprised at how compact it is (good learning tool)
- They keep up pretty well with new processors/features (with the caveat above)
- This list is very helpful
- the price is right
- I like the full blown IDE they sell
- extensive examples and drivers for various peripherals

Tips----
- start out on simple stuff to get the hang of it - use the examples
- get out your K&R handy to answer the straight 'C' questions
- understand that CCS has extended the 'C' language to enable efficient use of the on-board peripherals - use them but check it does what you want
- don't try to outsmart the compiler - I sometimes try too hard to write code so it compiles small
- look at the asm listing to see where to optimize and if you have odd errors
- when you run into trouble, search the archives, then, if needed, post with a clear subject line (not "HELP ME!")

- SteveS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: