CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Dual Serial port problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpaul

Dual Serial port problems
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

I am trying to add another rs232 port to a project I have. I followed the guidance given in the FAQ and a post from 2001. The hardware UART still works just great. However, I can't get the SW uart to recognize a kbhit. It seems to recieve fine (at least that's what MPLAB's watch window reports), but the transmit is wrong. Here's my test code. I am running at 20Mhz on a Pic 16F77

Code:

#include <16f77.h>   // for PCM compiler

#use delay(clock=20000000)
#use RS232(BAUD = 115200, XMIT = PIN_D6, RCV = PIN_D7, PARITY = N, BITS = 8)

void SWputchar(char input)
{
   putchar(input);
}

char SWgetch()
{
   return (getch());
}

char SWkbhit()
{
   return (kbhit());
}

#use RS232(BAUD = 115200, XMIT = PIN_C6, RCV = PIN_C7, PARITY = N, BITS = 8)
#use fast_io(c)
#use fast_io(b)
#use fast_io(a)
#byte PORTB = 6

static char swchar;

main()
{
   portb=0x00;
   set_tris_b(0x00);
   set_tris_a(0xFF);
   set_tris_e(0b111);
   setup_adc_ports(A_ANALOG);
   setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_DIV_32);
   enable_interrupts(int_rda);
   enable_interrupts(global);

do
   {
   swchar=SWgetch();
   SWputchar(swchar);
   SWputchar(0x41);
   SWputchar(0x42);
   SWputchar(0x43);
   SWputchar(0x44);
   SWputchar(0x45);
   SWputchar(0x46);
   SWputchar(0x47);
   SWputchar(0x48);
   SWputchar(0x49);
   SWputchar(0x4a);
   SWputchar(0x4b);
   SWputchar(0x4c);
   SWputchar(0x4d);
   SWputchar(0x4e);
   SWputchar(0x4f);
   SWputchar(0x50);
   SWputchar(0x51);
   SWputchar(0x52);
   SWputchar(0x53);
   SWputchar(0x54);
   SWputchar(0x55);
   SWputchar(0x56);
   SWputchar(0x57);
   SWputchar(0x58);
   SWputchar(0x59);
   SWputchar(0x5a);   
   }
   while(TRUE);
}

When I transmit a 0x4D ('M') I get a 0xCD echoed back. And the progression of the alphabet from A-Z gets transmitted as 0xC1 to 0xDA.

Any ideas why my transmit is wacky? And why it won't recognize a KBhit?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:40 am     Reply with quote

I'm afraid your problem screams 'timing'. Bytes are sent LSBit first, so your error reflects the penultimate bit in the character, either being mistimed on receive, or on transmit. The fact that the same error occurs on the constant values afterwards, suggests it is the transmit that has the problem. Now sending at 115200, involves a 'bit time', of just 43.4 instructions. The error, is that the bit is being sent late (hence the bit for the '4', is seen at the sample point for both the 4 bit, and the 8 bit). At the point where this bit is sent, the system will be seven bit times from the start of the byte (start bit, plus six data bits). How much time error this represents, depends on both the timing, and sampling strategy of the system at the other end. Generally, you can normally assume that timings have to be better than about 3% to be 'safe'. Assuming this is the allowable tolerance, then the error, could be as small as perhaps 2uSec. Given the '0.4' in the instruction time figure, it suggests that the code is using a value of perhaps 44 instructions for the loop, and this is adding up to produce the error. Remember also that there will be other errors that may contribute through the system:
Clock frequency on both systems. Crystals are not perfect.
UART divider on the PC.
Switching and detection times on the transceiver chips (at this high rate, a slight difference in the 'on' versus the 'off' time of the transceiver, can create a significant reduction in the error margin).
Added to the timing errors in the soft UART, these are 'ganging up' to result in your problem (the fact that the bit is sampled in two bit points, suggests that a transceiver problem may be contributing significantly).
Basically, you are trying for too much. The soft UART, is fine for low speed communications, but will be straining at this rate.
One small comment on the code, is that you should put the #use fast_io statements _before_ the #use RS232. The #use RS232 statement, uses the I/O mode selected at the point where the statement is placed, and hence will not be using fast_io.
Realistically, look to using a slower baud rate if possible.

Best Wishes

You are really trying for too much, to operate a software
jonpaul

Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

When I was thinking about it this morning I figured maybe I was trying to run it too fast. I could dial it back, I just wanted to run it as fast as possible. However, moving the #fast_io statements above the use RS232 statements seems to have fixed the problem without having to change the speed. I'm not exactly sure why since I don't have a fast_io statement for port D, which the software Uart is on. Maybe it is just phase of the moon and it is still unstable and I just haven't seen it yet.
ttelmah

Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:54 am     Reply with quote

jonpaul wrote:
When I was thinking about it this morning I figured maybe I was trying to run it too fast. I could dial it back, I just wanted to run it as fast as possible. However, moving the #fast_io statements above the use RS232 statements seems to have fixed the problem without having to change the speed. I'm not exactly sure why since I don't have a fast_io statement for port D, which the software Uart is on. Maybe it is just phase of the moon and it is still unstable and I just haven't seen it yet.

I like the 'phase of the Moon' idea. :-)
This (combined with whether you have correctly sacrificed the chicken), explains so many code problems....

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: