CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

What is the lower limit of Vref+ (16F877)

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the lower limit of Vref+ (16F877)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

I am using RA3 as Vref+ (and Vss as Vref-) and I'm finding that the 10-bit A/D result is garbage if Vref+ is lower than 2 V. Is this in fact how the 16F877 should be behaving? My guess is that this is normal, but I'd like to hear from someone else about this.
Charlie U

Yup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

Table 15-12 in the data sheet lists 2.0 volts as the absolute minimum for Vref+ - Vref-, or in your case Vref.
C Turner

Re: What is the lower limit of Vref+ (16F877)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

While the data sheet does specify a minimum Vref of 2 volts, I did some testing with the '876A and the '819 and found - as the data sheet implied - that accuracy began to suffer when Vref was <2 volts.

It didn't immediately go to "garbage" but the LSBs started to flake out first - which is typical with many SAR-type A/Ds.

If you *are* seeing garbage appear right at/below 2 volts Vref, I'd suspect that maybe the Vref isn't "stiff" enough. Keep in mind that a fair amount of current is pulled from Vref during conversion - and if you are simply using a resitive divider the source impedance may be too high. A relatively large capacitor (a 0.1 uf ought to do it) may help stiffen it up a bit.

(Then again, maybe the specs *really* are that tight...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: