CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Forum update?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humberto

Forum update?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am a member of this forum since September 2003 and a regular reader of this very interesting forum. The contribution of
some outstanding members who have enriched the forum level for so many years is very valuable. It would be redundant
to name those I refer to, and I would commit an injustice by not mentioning some. We all know who I mean.

A short time ago "Drolleman" opened this topic:
https://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57615
which was the trigger of this comment, referring to CCS as a generator of updates and developments in the development
of its products.

This comment does not refer to CCS, but it is related to the format and dynamics of this forum.
We know that CCS does not administer it and in my opinion I would very much like to see an update with a more friendly format.
This forum has grown too much in its content with a format of successive stacking of information without any type of index or
nomenclator that makes life a little easier when a search is required. The search engine is very inefficient and it is difficult to
find something without having to read almost all the threads page by page.

I do not know if this proposal may have any acceptance, I am not an expert in computer and editing tools, but the one used in
this forum is very primitive to manage the valuable information of its content. I would like this forum to include a
modern and versatile tool, and one that includes the spirit of being able to receive newbies, giving them a segment
dedicated to them, that today they see, that the only lights that shine are the one from Arduino.

I propose that information be ordered by topics, by levels or by any other ordering criteria so that we can coexist
veterans, professionals and students without making them feel that maybe they got into the wrong forum.

I would also like to be able to click on "I like" or "thank you" to thank the one who has brilliantly answered a question
or resolved a problem, because with his contribution to many of us he enriched us with his knowledge and experience.
Of course, I would like to know opinions and contributions, maybe someone could be interested in carrying out this proposal.

Best wishes,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

I have also found the search function pretty lacking. I have better luck searching Google with [keywords] + CCS
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 am     Reply with quote

Agreed, the search is appalling. However this is down to the 'engine' used
to provide the forum, and I don't think there has been much improvement
in this. Unfortunately most of the newer 'engines', are not much better,
and in many cases much worse. I've often found myself wishing for
the basic 'working' format provided here when on newer forums....

So 'caveat' a 'newer' forum format, might well end up destroying the
parts that actually work here, and many people have found it easier and
simpler just to use a Google 'site' search on the forum.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:16 am     Reply with quote

If I was given a vote for 'stay as is' or some 'improved' version, I'd probably vote 'stay as is'. We've all heard and had horror stories of 'updated' software and I'd prefer to leave well enough alone. This forum works very well, always seems to be 'up and running' so I can see that it's not a high demand item to 'update'. I rememeber the last major tweak and it took quite awhile to get used to the 'new and improved' format. I'd rather CCS spent the time correcting compiler bugs.., far more important, in my opnion. Maybe I'm getting old and 'set' in my ways but if it ain't broke no need to fix it! As for'search', if, IF, that module and ONLY that module could be upgraded...well OK but ONLY if the 'old' module could be put back when the new one doesn't work any better. Yes, I'm getting cynical now that I'm a senior....

Jay
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Well said Jay,
That is exactly my 'fear'....
PrinceNai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:32 am     Reply with quote

I must say I disagree with the original poster in one thing. That this forum isn't kind to a newbee. I'm still one, being a hobbyist and completely self taught in C. I found this forum when I still tried to blink my first LED in C and I can say that 90% of what I learned I learned here. Every question, no matter how trivial, got answered.

But here is an idea: maybe under code library or on the main menu there could be a newbee section, with simple examples covering the basic PIC peripherals to get everyone new to CCS C up to speed.

Regards, Samo
dluu13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 am     Reply with quote

PrinceNai wrote:
But here is an idea: maybe under code library or on the main menu there could be a newbee section, with simple examples covering the basic PIC peripherals to get everyone new to CCS C up to speed.

Regards, Samo

There's already a function for that in this forum. The mods can sticky
threads at the top of each forum. If a community member starts a thread
with a beginner's compendium of sorts, the mods could stick it up there :D
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am     Reply with quote

A separate 'basic' forum section, could be quite a good idea. It could have
also as stickies in it, the basic things like the 'flash an LED' test and things
like that.
The only 'issue' would be whether some of the regulars who make repeated
visits here might not visit two sites as frequently.

Comments?.
dluu13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am     Reply with quote

I personally at least take a look at every forum/thread with a flashy orange "new posts" icon.
luckyluke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 am     Reply with quote

For me forum is not easy readable if poster don't like to hit enter. It is designed for 4:3 crt monitors i guess.

Other than i know this is ccs c forum but a section for electronics questions would be nice. Maybe it could fit in basic section.
PrinceNai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am     Reply with quote

I don't see it as an issue. Nobody expects that it can or will be done in a day. I see more of a problem who will write the code and pick the topics or if everybody is allowed to do it, who of the moderators will take another responsibility on top of what they do now to review it and put the best or accepted one as sticky.

There is already a ton of very useful code written. It is just hard to find if you don't know exactly what you look for. I2C scanner, for example
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am     Reply with quote

luckyluke wrote:

Other than i know this is ccs c forum but a section for electronics
questions would be nice. Maybe it could fit in basic section.

They once had a separate forum, setup to divert electronics questions
to it instead of posting them here. A link was provided at the top to
this 2nd forum. But nobody used it. Nobody posted anything there.
It filled up with spam posts since it had no moderator. Eventually CCS
took it down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: