CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

ICD-U80 Internal Voltage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
signalogic

ICD-U80 Internal Voltage
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

Upon accidently putting a 12VDC regulator on a target board under test causing my ICD-U64 to come to an abrupt end, I then bought not one but two ICD-U80s. They have been brought up to the latest firmware available (3.29).

I'm currently working with the PIC24HJ64GP502 as well as a few others that require 3.3V. It is very convenient to power the target boards from the ICD in many cases. Unfortunately, I'm finding that the ICD-U80 is not providing 3.3V output for these processors as advertised and I have only been able to have the ICD provide 5V or none. CCSLOAD (5.048) doesn't seem to react to clicking on the checkbox which enables and disables the internal power until the application is closing.

Have others experimented with this? Has this been a similar find for others?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:06 am     Reply with quote

I'd ask CCS if this is meant to work.
It does say it has an internal regulator to give this, so the problem is probably that CCSLoad is not able to specify the voltage, just on/off. In which case it needs updating by them.
signalogic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 am     Reply with quote

I did get a response from CCS. I didn't know this but there are additional options on the CCSLOAD DEVICE page if you click the << button near OPTIONS. There you can chose the exact voltage that you want the ICD to use. I thought this would have been automatic based on the voltage setting already shown as 3V ONLY. I updated the voltage and the ICD responded accordingly after changing tabs on the CCSLOAD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:49 am     Reply with quote

Interesting - didn't know that the voltage was settable. That said, I have NOT had good luck with the ICD-U80. At. All. I've had issues with longevity and more frustratingly, with the CCSLoad software hanging and the ICD-U80 resetting itself every single time I attempt to program my target board. I never power the target from the ICD, so that option is always disabled.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

It would make sense for them to automatically limit the voltage to the maximum the chip supports. However given the range that some PIC's have it'd probably be close to pointless on many designs, with a PIC that supports up to 5v on a board that only supports 3v for example....
Woody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:16 am     Reply with quote

As always this forum supplies the answers to questions I have right when I need them; before I fried my 3.3V target with the 5V default Very Happy

Thanks for pointing out the <<!

(And for the first time I realized there is an actual manual hidden under the ? button. Embarassed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> CCS ICD / Mach X / Load-n-Go All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: