CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

address fault ISR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alevyvs

address fault ISR
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Hi. I'm using PCD 5.078 with a dsPIC33FJ128GP706A.

I'm trying to figure out why my system is resetting from time to time (can be up to two weeks between resets, but is generally an inconsistent amount of time). Different builds of code don't exhibit the problem at all, or sometimes at a higher likelihood than others. I've been unable to isolate the problem to a small sample program, but I finally have a build that reliably resets within a few seconds.

Per the debugging I've already done, the reset happens when my code causes an address error trap. When this happens, I intentionally wait around until the WDT trips. Here's the ISR, mostly written by my predecessor, which is able to give the offending program counter:

Code:

uint32_t AddrErrProgCntr;
#locate AddrErrProgCntr=0x2000

#INT_ADDRERR
void isrAddrFail()
{
   unsigned int *puwStack = NULL;

#asm
   mov W15, puwStack;
#endasm

puwStack  -= 0x13u;
   uwPcAddrLo = puwStack[0u];
   uwPcAddrHi = puwStack[1u] & 0x00FFu;

AddrErrProgCntr = ((uint32_t) uwPcAddrHi << 16u) | uwPcAddrLo;

output_low(IO_HANG_PIN);
   // Wait for WDT trip
   for(;;) {
      int i;
      for(i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
         output_high(IO_HANG_PIN);
         delay_ms(1u);
         output_low(IO_HANG_PIN);
         delay_ms(1u);
      }
      delay_ms(3u);
   }

}

After the WDT trips, I output AddrErrProgCntr to a CAN bus, which tells me the address is 0x107DE. Here's the listing file around that location:

Code:

....................          case I2C_MSG_FW_HW_VER:
....................             if (index > 0u) {
107BC:  MOV     2408,W0
107BE:  CLR.B   1
107C0:  CP0.B   W0L
107C2:  BRA     Z,108A2
....................                txData[index - 1u].versionInfo.fwMajor = qmsg->data[0];
107C4:  MOV     2408,W4
107C6:  CLR.B   9
107C8:  SUB     W4,#1,W5
107CA:  MOV     #AA,W4
107CC:  MUL.UU  W5,W4,W0
107CE:  MOV     W0,W5
107D0:  ADD     #22,W5
107D2:  MOV     #A52,W4
107D4:  ADD     W5,W4,W6
107D6:  MOV     240E,W0
107D8:  MOV     #3,W4
107DA:  ADD     W4,W0,W0
107DC:  MOV.B   [W0],[W6]
....................                txData[index - 1u].versionInfo.fwMinor = qmsg->data[1];
107DE:  MOV     2408,W4
107E0:  CLR.B   9
107E2:  SUB     W4,#1,W5
107E4:  MOV     #AA,W4
107E6:  MUL.UU  W5,W4,W0
107E8:  MOV     W0,W5
107EA:  ADD     #22,W5
107EC:  ADD     W5,#1,W0
107EE:  MOV     #A52,W4
107F0:  ADD     W0,W4,W5
107F2:  MOV     240E,W0
107F4:  MOV     #4,W4
107F6:  ADD     W4,W0,W0
107F8:  MOV.B   [W0],[W5]

It looks to me like a copy of memory address 2408 (per the .sym file, that's the index variable of this function) into W4. How could that possibly cause an address error, when that exact same operation was performed just one C line ago, at 0x107C4?

What's really "interesting" to me is that if I change the following code, I can get completely different behavior out of the offending part of the system. Basically I'm forcing the baud rate variable that I declare to be either 1, 8, or 16 bits, which causes everything to shift around in memory.

Code:

#define FAULT_FAST_1                0
#define FAIL_TO_BUILD               1
#define WORKS_AT_LEAST_30_MINUTES   2
#define FAULT_FAST_2                3
#define ENUM_IS_16_BIT              4

#define ACTIVE_I2C_CONFIG  FAULT_FAST_1

#if (ACTIVE_I2C_CONFIG == FAULT_FAST_1)
typedef enum {
   I2C_BAUD_SLOW,
   I2C_BAUD_FAST
} I2cBaudRate_t;
#elif (ACTIVE_I2C_CONFIG == FAIL_TO_BUILD)
typedef enum {
   I2C_BAUD_SLOW,
   I2C_BAUD_FAST,
   INVALID_I2C_BAUD
} I2cBaudRate_t;
#elif (ACTIVE_I2C_CONFIG == WORKS_AT_LEAST_30_MINUTES)
   typedef int I2cBaudRate_t;
   #define I2C_BAUD_SLOW 0
   #define I2C_BAUD_FAST 1
#elif (ACTIVE_I2C_CONFIG == FAULT_FAST_2)
typedef enum {
   I2C_BAUD_SLOW = 0x100,
   I2C_BAUD_FAST = 0x101
} I2cBaudRate_t;
#elif (ACTIVE_I2C_CONFIG == ENUM_IS_16_BIT)
typedef enum {
   I2C_BAUD_SLOW,
   I2C_BAUD_FAST,
   INVALID_I2C_BAUD_0,
   INVALID_I2C_BAUD_1,
   // cut for space
   INVALID_I2C_BAUD_257
} I2cBaudRate_t;
#endif

Changing the ACTIVE_I2C_CONFIG above results in the behavior described by the definitions:
FAULT_FAST_1 and _2 each fail within a few seconds, which corresponds with the timing of the I2C messages that this chip is receiving.
FAIL_TO_BUILD results in a "No overload function matches" compilation error. If I use 5.073 instead of 5.078, it compiles just fine. The line is shown at the end of this post with some further discussion.
WORKS_AT_LEAST_30_MINUTES and ENUM_IS_16_BIT both output identical .hex files, and do seem to work.

If I compare the listing files between FAULT_FAST_1 and WORKS_AT_LEAST_30_MINUTES, there are no differences (aside from the program addresses) in the listing file shown earlier. That suggests to me that the address I'm looking at is not really what's causing the trap to occur. Is the ISR above correctly decoding the source of the trap?

With regards to the failing build:
The line which causes the compilation error is the function call in the if statement in the following code. The error is "*** Error 165 "C:\projects\etx8\etx8-mgt-dsp\i2c_msg.c" Line 219(37,40): No overload function matches". There is no overload for that function. However, we also get a warning on that line for all other builds: ">>> Warning 240 "C:\projects\etx8\etx8-mgt-dsp\i2c_msg.c" Line 219(30,34): Pointer types do not match"
So, for the error it complains about the size_t* pointer, but the warning is issued about the uint8_t**. I've been ignoring this warning because I know the pointer types do match (no warnings were generated when using 5.073), but I wonder if there's something more here that I'm missing.

Code:

// Only showing the prototype:
   vsBool_t VsQueueRead(VsQueue_t *q, uint8_t **itemPtr, size_t *itemBufferLen);

// declared at file-scope
   VsQueue_t *_msgRXQ = NULL;

// declared local to the function
   size_t len;
   uint8_t *qptr;

if (VsQueueRead(_msgRXQ, &qptr, &len) == VS_TRUE) {

Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 am     Reply with quote

The address is the return address, so the error is the line before.

107DC: MOV.B [W0],[W6]

Add some debugging and see what 'index' contains. You have it limited to being >0, but is it possibly getting much too large and trying to address beyond the RAM.
On your build, the earlier versions of CCS did not complain if pointer types do not match. So the fact it built with the older versions does not prove the types match. The current version is quite strict on typing so you need to look carefully at how the types actually are declared. However it is only a warning, since the code will automatically cast incorrect types to work.
alevyvs

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:37 am     Reply with quote

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that before. Thanks, I'll take a closer look at that.

And seriously, thanks for taking the time to read through all of that, I know it was a lot.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:11 am     Reply with quote

I actually have to say 'well done' on posting some real information. The value from the return stack, and assembler listings at this point made it possible to help. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: