CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Strange behaviour at subtraction?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John L

Strange behaviour at subtraction?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,
I measure a frequency using the CCP and timer2 to output it on the RS232 every 64ms. It works fine so I figured I should add a simple way to also output the derivative in the same time so I did something like this:

//GLOBAL VARIABLES
int speed; //set by other CCP interrupt
float acc;

#int_timer2
timer_2_isr(){
static int speedold;
acc=(float)((speed-speedold)/0.64);
printf(" %3u %04.2f", speed,acc);
speedold=speed;
}

I've encountered two problems. It works fine as long as the speed is increasing (speed>speedold) but not when it's decreasing. A good output may look like:

108 6.25 --> 114 9.37 [(114-108)/0.64)=9.375] ok!
and a bad:
145 376.56 --> 124 367.18 [(124-145)/0.74=-32.8125 not 367.18]

The second problem is that I do not get leading zeros but I consider this a minor error... :-) Any ideas?

Best regards,
John, (16F874 using PCM3.128)
Charlie U

Casting to float
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:50 pm     Reply with quote

John,

It's good to see that you are using the casting feature, but I fear that you may not be achieving the result you are anticipating. You are dividing the difference of 2 ints by a float, then casting the result to a float. You may want to try casting the difference to a float, then dividing by the float. Also, if speedold in greater than speed, the result is negative and you are using ints not signed ints. This may also cause problems. So look into changing the arithmetic to something like the following or declaring speed and speedold as signed ints:

acc=((float)((signed int)speed-(signed int)speedold)/0.64);

Just a thought.

Floating point arithematic can be a bit time consuming. You might also consider moving the floating point calculation out of the isr. In general, the isr code is best kept to a minimum.
neil

Too much in ISR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:23 am     Reply with quote

Just expanding on what Charlie said, ISRs need to be kept as small as possible. I had tremendous problems when I had large code in an ISR, lots of seemingly random events started happening. 32 bit floating point on an 8 bit processor is very time consuming, so even though the actual 'C' code looks small, the underlying machine code will _not_ be!

When I have to do things like this now, I create a main loop which cyclicly checks lots of flags which trigger events if they are true.
So, if you set a boolean type flag in the ISR, then in the main loop, test for it being true, clear it, then do your floating point. This I think is the best way of ensuring events are not missed.

Neil.
Christer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:30 am     Reply with quote

It is a problem with leading zeros. Search the forum and you will find.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! It turned out to be bad type casting so it looks like I'm getting away (at least this time) with a large ISR...
Concerning the leading zeros I'll probably have to fix it in the computer instead. But as long as the PIC does its job it's ok!

Thanks again,
/John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: