CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS vs PBP Suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
languer

CCS vs PBP Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:14 pm     Reply with quote

I am currently considering acquiring either of these programs. Would somebody with experience in both languages care to comment Question

TIA,

languer.
dazlogan

hello
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I used PBP for about 5 years, it served its purpose well and has helped make some very successful products.

I moved over to C about 2 years ago for a few reasons.

1. To standardise on our embedded programming language at work (the concensus was that C was an all round better language to use than BASIC)

2. PIC C offers you more.
PBP does not support floating point and 32 bit variables.
PBP interrupt handling is crude.
PBP (or BASIC in general) is not as easy to read.
and so on...

However, I must say that I never found a single bug with PBP. I have come across some very frustrating bugs in PIC C... sure i've been able to sort them but could have done without them.

Depends on what you want to do and your personal preferences.

My advice would be to choose C, in the end you will become a more competant programmer in my opinion and will have a lot more power at your finger tips.

Saying the above, no language will EVER beat Visual Basic!

Regards,
Darren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

Hi...

My company is on embedded systems and we are using both C & Basic as the language of choice but the consensus of all engineer in the company is that we are going to use C-language as our preferences since portable to any microcontroller system like PIC, AVR, ATMEL, and the rest....

With this the group decided to use CCS C-compiler for the development. Based on my experience in using CCS well it provides the need for our embedded application so far. I agree that their are bugs on this CCS thing.

One good thing... if u encounter problem just visit this forum/community for comments or write to CCS support.

Hope this gives you insight...

Choose wisely....
languer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

To Darren and 'guest':

Thanks for your replies. After talking with some colleagues, reading your replies, and some unfortunate event trying to upgrade from PBC to PBP I have decided to purchase from CCS.

I have never programmed in C, but have done so in Java and Assembly (and of course VB). After some extensive examinations of available examples and the like, I do not think it will be too much of a challenge.

Again, thanks for your valuable inputs.

languer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: