CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

24-32 Bit Microcontroller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carllw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Hi I am beginner with embedded. I have an sd card/ usb datalogger project with PIC32mx250f (It might be changed). My advisor said to me don't use CCS C.
Which program language should i use to compile PIC32mx or 24 series on MPLABX ?

Thanks a lot.
temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

What does your 'advisor' recommend as far as a language ?
Ask WHY he doesn't recommend CCS C !!
For me a 'beginner' should be taught the basics of assembler THEN go to a 'higher' level language. Knowing a chip at machine code level gives you a LOT of knowledge on how it works, why it works and how to get it to do compliated tasks with greater speed and less memory.
Jay
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

CCS doesn't support PIC32.
carllw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:54 am     Reply with quote

Yes today he said i should write code with C32 language.

I have one question more.

For PIC32MX250f, which pin(s) can i use for SPI protocol ? (Save data to SD Card with sd card module)
When i look at datasheet I didn't see SPI pins directly, maybe it is my mistake but if anyone help me i will be grateful.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:46 am     Reply with quote

This is a group for questions about CCS C....

You need to be talking on the Microchip group not here.

However you need to read the data sheet. Not just look at pinouts and expect peripherals to be shown. Most of the bigger PIC's support PPS, so you can map peripherals to many pins. There should be several pages of tables after the pin diagram telling you which peripherals can be connected where. If I remember these chips correctly, the SPI clock pins are fixed, but both the input and output data pins can be moved using PPS.
asmallri

Re: 24-32 Bit Microcontroller
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

carllw wrote:
Yes today he said i should write code with C32 language.

I have one question more.

For PIC32MX250f, which pin(s) can i use for SPI protocol ? (Save data to SD Card with sd card module)
When i look at datasheet I didn't see SPI pins directly, maybe it is my mistake but if anyone help me i will be grateful.

A couple of things are obvious. You really are a beginner - your adviser does not like you. Picking a complex processor where you have to master so much of the internals such as pin mapping of peripherals on a non user friendly processor family with weak "Harmony" library, poorly implemented user forum and a weak MPLAB-X IDE, is not something I would wish on a beginner.

C32 is not a language, it is a (old) version of Microchip's C compiler. It was been replaced by XC32 a few years back. Microchip offer the XC32 C and separately a XC32 C++ version of compilers for the PIC32 family.

You mentioned you had the option of changing the processor. If it is your option to be able to change processors then a much easier solution, assuming you want to stay with Microchip processors, is to use a PIC24 or, if your need DSP capabilities, a dsPIC33. This would then enable you to use the CCS PCD compiler, provide you access to CCS extensive library of functions and third party drivers, and you could use this awesome user forum.

You can use the CCS compilers with the Microchip IDE if you want to. I use the older MPLAB IDE (not the MPLAB-X IDE) with CCS compilers as my preferred development environment and, based on my personal experience, I can go from idea to product with this combination is half the time I can with the same processor using Microchip compilers for all the reasons already mentioned.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
bartman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Does anybody know if CCS ever plan on releasing a 32bit compiler? Like has been pointed out, CCS makes development very fast by comparison. Be nice to be able to reduce porting time to PIC32's.
temtronic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

I'd like to go back to square one...this..
Quote:
I have an sd card/ usb datalogger project with PIC32mx250f

It's really, really overkill to use a PIC32 for what seems to be a simple datalogger using an SD card that then transmits that data to a PC(?) via USB. Kinda like using a sledgehammer to pound in a tack. Any number of 18 or 16 series PICs can easily acomplish the 'project'. Seems to me the teacher has set an unreasonable request.

As for CCS not having a '32' compiler, perhaps they have far more products than they have time for. Maybe they looked at the 'market' for a '32 compiler' and decided they can't afford the man-years to get a product to market AND support it. IE: not profitable ? I'll lay odds most of the requests are for 16/18 series support.
Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: