CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Programming Issues with ICD-U80

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesha

Programming Issues with ICD-U80
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All,
We recently purchased a new programmer ICD-U80 for programming PIC18 microcontrollers.
Every time I try to program or debug my code using ICD-U80 from either CCS Loader or CCS Compiler it results in verification error after programming.

Let me know if any one has encountered this issue.

Thanks in Advance.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

How long is the programming cable?.
How is the power being handled?.
newguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

With both the Load-n-Go and the ICD-U64 I've found that I sometimes need to roll back the programmer's firmware to an earlier release. Try doing so for your ICD-U80 if the cable length Ttelmah asked about isn't an issue.
kmp84

ICD U80
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:06 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

Someone successfully using CCS ICD-U80?

I got a new one, but can not do debugging. Gave me some access violation errors, or step into and step over does not work, with different firmware and compiler version!
CCS do not say with which versions of FW and SW should work! Crying or Very sad

Thanks,
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:34 am     Reply with quote

What chip?.
What compiler version?.
Have you tried just programming from CCSLoad?.

You really need to talk to CCS. I had a similar problem with the latest 5.076.
It failed with different debuggers (U64, U80, Mach-X).
However it would program from CCSLoad. They sent me a revised DLL which fixed this.
kmp84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:41 am     Reply with quote

Hi Mr.Ttelmah,

I tried with CCS C 5.061 and 5.074 , ICD-U80 FW 2.18 and the latest 3.25, PIC16LF727, 18f46k22, .etc.
Some times, when I get stable debug session with ICD-U80 it's NOT fast as they say :
Quote:
ICD-U80 Advantages:
Accelerated programming speed using a 140MHz internal processor

For compare:
I'm using also KEIL C51 with Silabs ICD-8bit debug adapter (which costs half price) with x10 faster!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the latest stuff, I know only works with the current IDE.

The real speed advantages don't appear on the older chips, only ones like DsPIC's where you load a programming executive into the chip, and this then communicates directly with the programmer.
Debugging though is always slower than programming. I've moaned about it, since on some of the larger chips, which can program in only a few seconds, yet to load a program to debug takes many times longer... :(
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 am     Reply with quote

I haven't had any luck whatsoever with the ICD-U80. My experience was that the CCS device programmer software would lose contact with it, "lock" momentarily, reconnect, then program. This happened every time I'd attempt to program. I believe this was with 5.074. Haven't tried with any newer versions of the compiler as my ICD-U64 works fine.
andy5056

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Some time ago I bought the ICD-U80 for dsPIC33EP and PIC18 development. The U80 has always worked fine for me on the PIC18 parts. It is a different matter with the dsPIC33EP and now PIC24EP. On both parts, hex file loading is faster than the U64, but breakpoints do not work. Recently I discovered that the U80 will not program a bootloader in dsPIC33EP AUX memory - the verify step shows all AUX bytes are 00.

Just today a colleague mentioned a problem using the U80 to program a dsPIC33EP, and he found the ICD-U64 worked file. So I dug out my old U64. Sure enough, the ICD-U64 breakpoints work on the dsPIC33EP, and I can single step. The U64 correctly loads my PIC24EP bootloader in AUX memory. Yes, the U64 is slower to load program flash, and the CPU speed does not display the correct PLL-generated rate, but I am abandoning the ICD-U80. I should have tried the ICD-U64 long ago!

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: