CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

cause of error: "... target was not halted after reset

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blak3r

cause of error: "... target was not halted after reset
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

PIC: PIC16F877
ICD: ICD-S20
Compiler Version: 3.170 educational limited version

I've been running into some problems when i using the debugger integrated into the CCS IDE to program my PIC. If i don't remove power from my board before trying to reprogram the pic i get the following error.

"Could not start target: The target was not halted after reset. Check the target oscillator and MCLR."

I can get my code to load if i turn off the power to my circuit then turn it back on and then recompile. Pressing the reset button for the PIC doesn't fix the problem. I believe that closing the IDE and restarting fixes the problem as well.

Causes i've ruled out:
I get the same error on the circuit i designed as well as the protoboard that came with my compiler. So i don't think it's a hardware issue.

When i load the example files and other basic files i don't have the problem at all. So, it's a problem with my source code.

My code uses an ADC, LCD, mixes assembly, prints to the DEBUG window using printf.

I've run into some weird problems with the compiler where my lcd only works if i have the include file for the lcd before an include for any other device. And i think this might be another one of those weird compiler problems.

I tried commenting out sections of my code for a while with no luck so i thought i'd ask before i completely disected the code.

Thanks
~blake
[/u]
chava

some sugestions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:37 am     Reply with quote

Hi,
I belive that you did, but, any way: check if all configuration bits are correct, check portb pool-up, oscilator frequency, and ICD itself: mybe the connection between the icd to you target board is somehow problematic...
check you assmbly code - maybe the pic enters an endles loop
be sure to halt and reset the target before any action you take

le me know how you did
jukingh@zahav.net.il

hmm...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:23 am     Reply with quote

config bits = HS, NOLVP, NOWDT, NOPROTECT
and i'm using a 20Mhz ceramic resonator

It's not a hardware problem since i can run the example problems properly on the board i made and if i put the code i wrote on a protoboard that came with the compiler i get the same compiler error.

I do have portb_pullups(false)... and i just tried setting it to true and it didn't make a difference. How could pullups affect it from programming?

Assembly code has no problems and the rest of my code behaves as it's supposed to... it's just annoying having to turn off the board each time.

What do you mean by halt and reset the target before any action?

Thanks,
~blake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: