CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

AVR + CCS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arakel

AVR + CCS
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:02 am     Reply with quote

This might not be a question for here, but what do you think about AVR, is it similar to CCS, maybe I should learn it after CCS?
Yo! I love learning and technology! I just do not have experience so do not be angry if I ask a stupid question about a detail! From so much to remember sometimes I forget the details in order to remember the big problems!
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:10 am     Reply with quote

consider...the AVR is hardware, CCS is software
It would be better if you learned the PIC since you're using the CCS C compiler. I've been using PICs and CCS for 25+ years and still learn new things everyday.
Some of the micros I programmed include 4004,8008,6800,68hc11,z80,8031/51,6809 most in assembler,basic,C.
Frankly there is nothing an AVR can do that a PIC can't do.better !
Depending on your skill and determination it can take decades to KNOW any micro and language. The better youundrstand how the hardware works, the easier you can code to make it do what you want. By all means see what the 'other guys' are doing.

Jay
Arakel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:22 am     Reply with quote

I think I made an auto-goal with this question.

Sorry! I meant to ask is the programming similar. I think its with IAR and are 16 or 32-bit microcontrollers. They offer me a job with it and I dont think I will find exactly PIC programming, despite that I want to.

Now that you mentioned the hardware! Is the hardware between different microcontrollers that different? Especially between PIC and AVR, isnt it Harvard Architecture of complete division between program and data memory? Probably also special function registers and normal registers?
Yo! I love learning and technology! I just do not have experience so do not be angry if I ask a stupid question about a detail! From so much to remember sometimes I forget the details in order to remember the big problems!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:31 am     Reply with quote

Yes.

However there are so many little differences.
Look at the PIC's. Every single one is a little different.
The AVR has some real strangeness's, (just as the PIC does).
Different address ranges for the pointer registers for example. Ugh!...

It's a bit like the differences between a motor bike and a car. Both go along the same road, and the highway code will be the same. However the controls on each are very different, and one is much better in traffic, while the other is more comfortable on long trips.
Some lessons will be common to both, but a lot won't be.
Note how many times we have to tell people that you can't use a particular Arduino device, quite the same way on a PIC....
Arakel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 am     Reply with quote

I did not meant to insult PIC in any way. I just wanted to know if I can use this offer. I understand that there will be differences and my professor told me Arduino will not last long. I see that you hate Arduino as well.

I just need to make my situation in the best way possible and if I can get enough from this I will use it. If this is useful to learn the general programming even, or for something, I can use it. if not it will just be a job like any other that will not involve programming, so I see no reason to refuse, because they pay more than being a customer support agent.

I study things by myself and I will keep on with PIC. What difficulties can there be the most in this situation? Sorry I did not meant to offend any of you, by your fast reaction time I see this is an interrupt request for lighting a "Warn" LED.
gjs_rsdi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:47 am     Reply with quote

Arakel

I don't think Ttelmah is insulted Smile
He just stated a few facts
While still working with assembler, I spent 3 months to try migrating from PIC to AVR as some friends told me that AVR are faster and better.
I learnt the hardware and AVR assembler, wrote some softwares, after the 3 months I got to conclusion that:
* I liked the PIC hardware more than AVR and for many reasons
* I liked the PIC assembler more than the AVR assembler
I am not sorry about the 3 months spent, it just enforced my opinion that I should stay with the PIC's
It not means you should stick to PIC. I am just writing about my experience Smile
By the way, you know that today AVR is Microchip also?

Best wishes
Joe
Arakel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am     Reply with quote

gjs_rsdi wrote:
Arakel

I don't think Ttelmah is insulted Smile
He just stated a few facts
While still working with assembler, I spent 3 months to try migrating from PIC to AVR as some friends told me that AVR are faster and better.
I learnt the hardware and AVR assembler, wrote some softwares, after the 3 months I got to conclusion that:
* I liked the PIC hardware more than AVR and for many reasons
* I liked the PIC assembler more than the AVR assembler
I am not sorry about the 3 months spent, it just enforced my opinion that I should stay with the PIC's
It not means you should stick to PIC. I am just writing about my experience Smile
By the way, you know that today AVR is Microchip also?

Best wishes
Joe

I like PIC, too. I just dont have many options.
I did not know AVR is from Microchip also. If its so why arent they developing both controllers in the same direction?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

AVR, is Atmel.
Microchip make some chips using the AVR core 'under license'.
They also do chips using 8051 cores as well.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

Arakel wrote:

I like PIC, too. I just dont have many options.
I did not know AVR is from Microchip also. If its so why arent they developing both controllers in the same direction?

Microchip just bought Atmel, the owner of AVR recently.
gjs_rsdi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:13 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Microchip just bought Atmel, the owner of AVR recently

What I wanted to say is that in my opinion if Atmel were the better, they were buying Microchip Very Happy
If you go to Microchip SELECTOR
http://www.microchip.com/maps/microcontroller.aspx
You find now also the Atmel controllers in the possible options
Quote:
If its so why arent they developing both controllers in the same direction?

Those 2 microcontrollers families are very different animals.
So they options are to continue with the AVR that have a big market or to scrap them.
They decided to continue with them

Best wishes
James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: