CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

DC Relay.. Mosfet or Coil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugene Onishi

DC Relay.. Mosfet or Coil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:55 am     Reply with quote

I've been making projects that require a DC dry contact. In some cases I use an opo-isolator with a high current Mosfet. It seems to work fine. Sometimes I use a ULN2803 in line with relays..

Most of the applications work fine either way and the cost is about the same. Any suggetions or comments on this?

Re: DC Relay.. Mosfet or Coil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:43 am     Reply with quote

i dont know if you use your contacts in harsh enviroments but i would be concerned about any Spikes that could come down the line. the relays can handle allot but not the fet.

:=I've been making projects that require a DC dry contact. In some cases I use an opo-isolator with a high current Mosfet. It seems to work fine. Sometimes I use a ULN2803 in line with relays..
:=
:=Most of the applications work fine either way and the cost is about the same. Any suggetions or comments on this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

:=I've been making projects that require a DC dry contact. In some cases I use an opo-isolator with a high current Mosfet. It seems to work fine. Sometimes I use a ULN2803 in line with relays..
:=Most of the applications work fine either way and the cost is about the same. Any suggetions or comments on this?

Most relays dont surface mount.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

If you use a relay you need to make sure you have supression diodes in place. I like the mosfet solution (low Rds devices)for currents that are on the order of an amp or two. You need to make sure that the gate capacitance is not too high. I have seen times when a pic will reset when changing the outputs to a fet input. You can add some series resistance, or pick a fet with a low gate capacitance. The datasheets from Microchip will give you a recommended max.
Mosfets in a SMT package are typically great.

-Shane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:50 pm     Reply with quote

We use Omron surface mount relays. They are a bit pricey but we've had no problems.

:=:=I've been making projects that require a DC dry contact. In some cases I use an opo-isolator with a high current Mosfet. It seems to work fine. Sometimes I use a ULN2803 in line with relays..
:=:=
:=:=Most of the applications work fine either way and the cost is about the same. Any suggetions or comments on this?
:=Most relays dont surface mount.
Al Testani
mcafzap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:30 am     Reply with quote

Depending upon requirements, you can directly drive some relays - though you will still need protection diodes. I have used latching relays (NAIS TN2-L-5v) driven from 2 outputs for on and off. From memory, these required about a 1mS pulse @ about 20mA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: