CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Powering AVdd from separate regulator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan

Powering AVdd from separate regulator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:08 am     Reply with quote

Hi All

I want to power the AVdd from a precision regulator on a dsPIC33EP128GM604.
However the AVdd and Vdd does not power up simultaneously so I get a latch-up condition where AVdd and Vdd differ by more than 0.3V blowing my internal regulator.

How can I address this issue short of just bypassing the extra regulator?

Regards

CCS 5.025
RF_Developer

Re: Powering AVdd from seperate regulator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 am     Reply with quote

alan wrote:

However the AVdd and Vdd does not power up simultaneously so I get a latch-up condition where AVdd and Vdd differ by more than 0.3V blowing my internal regulator.

How can I address this issue short of just bypassing the extra regulator?

You've pretty much answered your own question. You can't, without risking blowing things up.

Why do you feel you need "better" Avdd? If you want to improve analogue conversion accuracy, the answer is to use an external precision reference rather than the supply. If its something else, then what?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:19 am     Reply with quote

The point about Avdd, is to try to reduce processor noise.
The recommendation from Microchip, is to feed it from Vdd, but with a small series resistor/inductor, and a low ESR capacitor really close to the pin.

Every regulator that may find it's output rail above it's input potentially always needs a reverse biased diode across it. This is true on the trusty old 78xx, and missing it often results in damage if there is significant capacitance on the output. In most cases the voltage and duration are small enough to not destroy the regulator, but two separate regulators feeding different paths into the same chip, is asking for trouble....

For accuracy, you want to use a separate Vref. A bandgap reference, not just a precision regulator.

Also, look at the data sheet. What voltage is allowed to be on AVdd?. It is specified to not be below 3v, or Vdd-0.3 (whichever is the higher). So 'no wonder' the circuit doesn't like it if the voltage differs by more than 0.3v....
alan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:12 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

The problem with using the series inductor although it works is that every board needs then to be calibrated, you have typical 0.1 - 0.2V difference.

To me it is actually silly to bring out the AVdd pin and then not be able to supply it with a precision voltage.

Will just bypassed it for now.

Regards
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:30 am     Reply with quote

alan wrote:

The problem with using the series inductor although it works is that every board needs then to be calibrated, you have typical 0.1 - 0.2V difference.

To me it is actually silly to bring out the AVdd pin and then not be able to supply it with a precision voltage.

No, as both Ttelmah and I wrote, don't try to make the supply "precision" - that's "silly": use an external precision reference instead. The Avdd is there so that you can have a "clean" analogue supply, not a different voltage. Though personally none of my attempts at cleaning up the analogue supply have been particularly successful.

Using the supply as the ADC reference is only suitable for simple, low precision measurements or ratiometric measurements wrt the supply. For anything else, pretty much everything requiring more than five or six bits of resolution (one bit at six bits is about 1.5% of full scale and few +5V supplies are anywhere near even that good - typical is 5V, +/-.15V, or +/-3%) a better reference, whether the one built in to many newer PICs, or an IC intended for that purpose is a much better bet. There are many to choose from - Microchip do some low cost ones such as the MCP1541 and its friends.

Last edited by RF_Developer on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:30 am     Reply with quote

The point is that nobody wanting precision uses the Vdd as the reference.
Bringing it out, is done so you can reduce the noise introduced on this pin, not so it is used as a reference.
Basic rule of thumb. Vdd==reference > Low accuracy. High accuracy > separate reference.
The loads on the Vdd line change too much for accuracies above perhaps 1% to be practical.
This is especially true, when using the external Vref, allows you to scale the actual ADC range to suit your input.
You should not be getting 0.1v to 0.2v drop across an inductor of any sensible DC resistance. Something more like 0.002v would be typical, with something like a Murata BLM18PG181SN1D, feeding a 10uF ceramic capacitor....

I see RF_Developer posted at the same time. Smile
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:56 am     Reply with quote

A quick look at the data sheet shows that chip has an internal voltage reference. You should probably be using that instead of AVdd for a precision voltage.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: