CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

EEProm versions of PIC's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Kennedy

EEProm versions of PIC's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:55 am     Reply with quote

I'm using the EEProm version of the 16C710 for development purposes. How long should I expose it to UV light to erase it succesfully? Can over exposure cause any damage.

Might be silly questions to some but I'm mainly a power engineer venturing into pic's for the first time.

Regards

John Kennedy

Re: EEProm versions of PIC's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:06 am     Reply with quote

Standard practice is about 15 minutes, although I've found them to be erased after 10 or 12. I'm so used to 15 though that's where the timer gets set!
If it has the quartz windos then it's really an EPROM, not EEPROM technically speaking. EEPROMs don't have the windows and can be electrically erased.
No questions are silly if you haven't 'been there and done that'. Some answers though.... :-)

Jay

:=I'm using the EEProm version of the 16C710 for development purposes. How long should I expose it to UV light to erase it succesfully? Can over exposure cause any damage.
:=
:=Might be silly questions to some but I'm mainly a power engineer venturing into pic's for the first time.
:=Regards
:=John Kennedy

Re: EEProm versions of PIC's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 9:30 am     Reply with quote

If you are erasing them with UV light they are EPROM based, not EEPROM. I use 20 minutes of UV light on 16C58 chips, but it depends on the lamp you are using. You can test by erasing a chip for a very short time, like 5 minutes, and see if it is blank. If not give it another minute or two. Keep trying until it is blank. The sucessive exposures add up simply. Now you know how long this individual chip took at room temperature etc. Add at least 50\% as a safety margin for general use.

I would avoid great overkill like 10X, but occasional overexposure like 2x or 3x will not noticably affect the chip.

Sherpa Doug

:=I'm using the EEProm version of the 16C710 for development purposes. How long should I expose it to UV light to erase it succesfully? Can over exposure cause any damage.
:=Might be silly questions to some but I'm mainly a power engineer venturing into pic's for the first time.
:=Regards
:=John Kennedy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: