CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Compile Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trampas Stern

Compile Speed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

Is their any way to improve how long it takes to compile a program. Currently I have about 5000 lines of code which take about 20\% RAM and 20\% ROM and it takes about 2 minutes to compile on my AMD 2000+ system?

Trampas

RE: Compile Speed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

:=Is their any way to improve how long it takes to compile a program. Currently I have about 5000 lines of code which take about 20\% RAM and 20\% ROM and it takes about 2 minutes to compile on my AMD 2000+ system?
:=
:=Trampas

I haven't seen any real issues with compile speed. I just tested a complile of my recent project, 4625 lines, it compiled in under 12 seconds with the PCH compiler version 3.137. The project uses 20580 bytes (64\%) of ROM and 964 bytes of RAM, 1013 bytes of RAM worst case.

My notebook is a Pentium III, 1.13GHz which I have throttled back to 700MHz to conserve battery power. To make matters even worse my main OS is Linux and I run the compiler in a Win98 Guest under VMware. This usually means that the windows session sees somewhere between 40 and 80\% of the actual CPU time depending on what else I am doing at the time.

-Troy

Re: RE: Compile Speed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

:=:=Is their any way to improve how long it takes to compile a program. Currently I have about 5000 lines of code which take about 20\% RAM and 20\% ROM and it takes about 2 minutes to compile on my AMD 2000+ system?
:=:=
:=:=Trampas
:=I haven't seen any real issues with compile speed. I just tested a complile of my recent project, 4625 lines, it compiled in under 12 seconds with the PCH compiler version 3.137. The project uses 20580 bytes (64\%) of ROM and 964 bytes of RAM, 1013 bytes of RAM worst case.
:=My notebook is a Pentium III, 1.13GHz which I have throttled back to 700MHz to conserve battery power. To make matters even worse my main OS is Linux and I run the compiler in a Win98 Guest under VMware. This usually means that the windows session sees somewhere between 40 and 80\% of the actual CPU time depending on what else I am doing at the time.
:=-Troy

I am using 3.137 also and it takes over 2 mins. For my project?
What compile options are you using? I am compiling from MPLAB with the following options +LN -T -A -M -Z +Y=9

Trampas

RE: Compile Speed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

:=:=:=Is their any way to improve how long it takes to compile a program. Currently I have about 5000 lines of code which take about 20\% RAM and 20\% ROM and it takes about 2 minutes to compile on my AMD 2000+ system?
:=:=:=
:=:=:=Trampas
:=:=I haven't seen any real issues with compile speed. I just tested a complile of my recent project, 4625 lines, it compiled in under 12 seconds with the PCH compiler version 3.137. The project uses 20580 bytes (64\%) of ROM and 964 bytes of RAM, 1013 bytes of RAM worst case.
:=:=My notebook is a Pentium III, 1.13GHz which I have throttled back to 700MHz to conserve battery power. To make matters even worse my main OS is Linux and I run the compiler in a Win98 Guest under VMware. This usually means that the windows session sees somewhere between 40 and 80\% of the actual CPU time depending on what else I am doing at the time.
:=:=-Troy
:=I am using 3.137 also and it takes over 2 mins. For my project?
:=What compile options are you using? I am compiling from MPLAB with the following options +LN -T -A -M -Z +Y=9

I don't usually compile under MPLAB, but under ConText I use the following; +FH +STDOUT +T +A

I just tried the same project under MPLAB and it compiled in approx 15 seconds. The options are; +FH +DC +LN +T -A +M +Z +Y=9

I am wondering if maybe MPLAB is trying to download the program to a target after compile. I always do this as a seperate step.

-Troy

Re: Compile Speed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

How did you determine the 5000 lines of code !

Does that really mean "lines of code" or "lines in source" file? There is a big difference !
Anayway I think you have something wrong with your setup or system.

CCS PCWH (I have all compilers including SX) compiles big programs in seconds regardless of compiler.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:07 am     Reply with quote

:=:=:=Is their any way to improve how long it takes to compile a program. Currently I have about 5000 lines of code which take about 20\% RAM and 20\% ROM and it takes about 2 minutes to compile on my AMD 2000+ system?
:=:=I haven't seen any real issues with compile speed. I just tested a complile of my recent project, 4625 lines, it compiled in under 12 seconds with the PCH compiler version 3.137. The project uses 20580 bytes (64\%) of ROM and 964 bytes of RAM, 1013 bytes of RAM worst case.
:=:=My notebook is a Pentium III, 1.13GHz which I have throttled back to 700MHz to conserve battery power. To make matters even worse my main OS is Linux and I run the compiler in a Win98 Guest under VMware. This usually means that the windows session sees somewhere between 40 and 80\% of the actual CPU time depending on what else I am doing at the time.
:=I am using 3.137 also and it takes over 2 mins. For my project?
:=What compile options are you using? I am compiling from MPLAB with the following options +LN -T -A -M -Z +Y=9
Are you sure it is the compile that is taking so long?. Try it outside MPLAB, on it's own. If (for instance), MPLAB is setup to use one of the ICE systems, after compilation, there can be a massive pause before the 'finished' screen arrives, as the download takes place to the ICE. Some of the MicroChip ICE modules are very slow (the ICD systems especially), and could easily be taking 100 seconds plus to do the transfer.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:11 am     Reply with quote

It compiles at the same speed in MPLAB or out. I think the problem is the network drive. I would love it if you could specify where for the compiler to place temp files.

Trampas

:=:=:=:=Is their any way to improve how long it takes to compile a program. Currently I have about 5000 lines of code which take about 20\% RAM and 20\% ROM and it takes about 2 minutes to compile on my AMD 2000+ system?
:=:=:=:=
:=:=:=:=Trampas
:=:=:=I haven't seen any real issues with compile speed. I just tested a complile of my recent project, 4625 lines, it compiled in under 12 seconds with the PCH compiler version 3.137. The project uses 20580 bytes (64\%) of ROM and 964 bytes of RAM, 1013 bytes of RAM worst case.
:=:=:=My notebook is a Pentium III, 1.13GHz which I have throttled back to 700MHz to conserve battery power. To make matters even worse my main OS is Linux and I run the compiler in a Win98 Guest under VMware. This usually means that the windows session sees somewhere between 40 and 80\% of the actual CPU time depending on what else I am doing at the time.
:=:=:=-Troy
:=:=I am using 3.137 also and it takes over 2 mins. For my project?
:=:=What compile options are you using? I am compiling from MPLAB with the following options +LN -T -A -M -Z +Y=9
:=:=Trampas
:=I don't usually compile under MPLAB, but under ConText I use the following; +FH +STDOUT +T +A
:=I just tried the same project under MPLAB and it compiled in approx 15 seconds. The options are; +FH +DC +LN +T -A +M +Z +Y=9
:=I am wondering if maybe MPLAB is trying to download the program to a target after compile. I always do this as a seperate step.
:=-Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:02 am     Reply with quote

I just ran into this network drive problem as well. 3000 Line Compiles were zipping along fine with the local harddisk. But, I switched to a network drive last week to prevent loss of code on my laptop and suddenly compiles were about 30[s]. Same code, same compiler, etc...

Dean

:=It compiles at the same speed in MPLAB or out. I think the problem is the network drive. I would love it if you could specify where for the compiler to place temp files.
:=:=:=:=:=Is their any way to improve how long it takes to compile a program. Currently I have about 5000 lines of code which take about 20\% RAM and 20\% ROM and it takes about 2 minutes to compile on my AMD 2000+ system?
:=:=:=:=:=
:=:=:=:=:=Trampas
:=:=:=:=I haven't seen any real issues with compile speed. I just tested a complile of my recent project, 4625 lines, it compiled in under 12 seconds with the PCH compiler version 3.137. The project uses 20580 bytes (64\%) of ROM and 964 bytes of RAM, 1013 bytes of RAM worst case.
:=:=:=:=My notebook is a Pentium III, 1.13GHz which I have throttled back to 700MHz to conserve battery power. To make matters even worse my main OS is Linux and I run the compiler in a Win98 Guest under VMware. This usually means that the windows session sees somewhere between 40 and 80\% of the actual CPU time depending on what else I am doing at the time.
:=:=:=:=-Troy
:=:=:=I am using 3.137 also and it takes over 2 mins. For my project?
:=:=:=What compile options are you using? I am compiling from MPLAB with the following options +LN -T -A -M -Z +Y=9
:=:=I don't usually compile under MPLAB, but under ConText I use the following; +FH +STDOUT +T +A
:=:=I just tried the same project under MPLAB and it compiled in approx 15 seconds. The options are; +FH +DC +LN +T -A +M +Z +Y=9
:=:=I am wondering if maybe MPLAB is trying to download the program to a target after compile. I always do this as a seperate step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: