CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC programming hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Felstead

PIC programming hardware
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

What PIC programmers are people using? Even if you use a bootloader, what are you using to program it into your PIC?

I used to use a DT001 by DonTronics using the ICSP mode which is driven by the parallel printer port, but it stopped working after a few years of use. I was driving this with Bojan Dobaj's 16PRO "PicAll" software which I really like.

I've recently purchased a K149b by Tony Nixon from kitsrus.com which connects to the USB port, or the PC 9-pin serial port, however the software doesn't allow me to program the EEPROM space on its own, I have to program the code space at the same time, which is a limitation. Also the USB mode is a little slow compared to the DT001.

I ask becuase I might go back to a parallel port style programmer as its fast, and using the "PicAll" software allows me to reprogram the EEPROM space.

Regards,
Patrick

Re: PIC programming hardware
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

:=What PIC programmers are people using? Even if you use a bootloader, what are you using to program it into your PIC?
:=
:=I used to use a DT001 by DonTronics using the ICSP mode which is driven by the parallel printer port, but it stopped working after a few years of use. I was driving this with Bojan Dobaj's 16PRO "PicAll" software which I really like.
:=I've recently purchased a K149b by Tony Nixon from kitsrus.com which connects to the USB port, or the PC 9-pin serial port, however the software doesn't allow me to program the EEPROM space on its own, I have to program the code space at the same time, which is a limitation. Also the USB mode is a little slow compared to the DT001.
:=I ask becuase I might go back to a parallel port style programmer as its fast, and using the "PicAll" software allows me to reprogram the EEPROM space.
:=Regards,
:=Patrick

The Warp-13a can program the eeprom area separately.
See this thread for reviews
<a href="http://www.pic-c.com/forum/general/posts/144515621.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.pic-c.com/forum/general/posts/144515621.html</a>
It is also available from Dontronics.

Re: PIC programming hardware
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:41 pm     Reply with quote

:=What PIC programmers are people using? Even if you use a bootloader, what are you using to program it into your PIC?
:=I used to use a DT001 by DonTronics using the ICSP mode which is driven by the parallel printer port, but it stopped working after a few years of use. I was driving this with Bojan Dobaj's 16PRO "PicAll" software which I really like.
:=I've recently purchased a K149b by Tony Nixon from kitsrus.com which connects to the USB port, or the PC 9-pin serial port, however the software doesn't allow me to program the EEPROM space on its own, I have to program the code space at the same time, which is a limitation. Also the USB mode is a little slow compared to the DT001.
:=I ask becuase I might go back to a parallel port style programmer as its fast, and using the "PicAll" software allows me to reprogram the EEPROM space.

The Warp-13a can program the eeprom area separately.
See this thread for reviews
<a href="http://www.pic-c.com/forum/general/posts/144515621.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.pic-c.com/forum/general/posts/144515621.html</a>
It is also available from Dontronics.

PIC programming hardware
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:02 am     Reply with quote

I use a Needhams "EMP-11". It is a general purpose programmer and can handle most common programmable devices. The software has a built-in hex file editor, so you can edit program ROM, EEPROM, config fuses, Chip ID, prior to programming the chip. You can also make a short adapter cable (or buy from Needhams) for doing in circuit programming. It is very robust and has worked flawlessly for me

Dave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: