CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Power PIC from RS232? PIC16F876

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runtime

Power PIC from RS232? PIC16F876
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to power a PIC from the serial port? what should I need? maybe someone has a circuit layout...

Thank you in advance
Peter
Eric Minbiole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

It is definitely possible to power a PIC from the serial port, but there are some limitations. RS232 doesn't provide dedicated power lines, but you can 'steal' power from the RTS and DTR lines. I did some work on this a few years ago, making a hardware "dongle" that was powered from the serial port. In my case, there was no other I/O (such as LEDs, etc) needed, so power drain could be kept low. Of course, your success will depend on what other (if any) I/O you need to power.

The amount of power available varies greatly from port to port, with laptops often having the least amout available. If you want to make something that will work on <I>most</I> serial ports, then it's not too difficult, as you can often get 8+mA @ 6+V: Plenty to drive a PIC, a regulator, etc.

If you want your device to work on <I>all</I> serial ports, then it's harder. I don't remeber the exact numbers, but I think I figured I could rely on having around 3 or 4 mA at a few Volts. To minimize consumption, I ran the PIC at 3.3V, and selected the lowest power periperals I could find: I used the LTC1385 to convert TTL <-> RS232 levels. It draws only 200uA. I also used a low power regulator, LT1121.

This page has some excellent tips: http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/rspower.html

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a link to a (blurry) picture of my serial port powered PIC. I was able to house everything neatly inside a small project box, with a built-in D9 connector. I just plug the box directly onto the computer's serial port:

http://www.pisymbol.com/images/dongle1.jpg
SteveS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

As mentioned it is very possible, and it depends on what you need it to do. My entry in the Microchip low power contest last year (honorable mention, dang!) was powered solely off RS232 and converted RS232 to TTY Baudot (and back). The winner (he got the $10000) had a mode where he ran off RS232 power. His design is published. I like the DS275 or DS276 for the RS232 interface. I diode-or-ed RTS and DTR and used a low power linear regulator. You can squeeze out a bit more if you use a high efficiency switcher. Run the PIC at 3.3V and use all the power saving features. I used the 18F1320 which has a neat feature where the CPU is off but peripherals still run. I used that to capture the TTY edges and wake from RS232.

Good luck,

SteveS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: