CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

release of ICDS firmware API

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark r. hahn

release of ICDS firmware API
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

Does anyone have a guess if and when CCS might release the API for talking to an ICDS. I recently upgraded my MPLAP-ICD to use the ICDS firmware (works great). It would be really nice to be able to use it to debug assembler also.

There is a cryptic comment on the PCW debugger web page about emulator information coming soon.

It seems like it'd be pretty easy to hook an RS232 monitor to the ICDS and see what the commands sent to it look like. Then it would be a simple task to write a front end for those commands. This would allow you to keep using your MPLAB-ICD to do debugging (well maybe without MPLAB which I don't really see as much of a loss).

Mark

Re: release of ICDS firmware API
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Did you change the XTAL to 20Mhz or are you still using the
original 3.xxMhz?

Thank

:=Does anyone have a guess if and when CCS might release the API for talking to an ICDS. I recently upgraded my MPLAP-ICD to use the ICDS firmware (works great). It would be really nice to be able to use it to debug assembler also.
:=
:=There is a cryptic comment on the PCW debugger web page about emulator information coming soon.
:=It seems like it'd be pretty easy to hook an RS232 monitor to the ICDS and see what the commands sent to it look like. Then it would be a simple task to write a front end for those commands. This would allow you to keep using your MPLAB-ICD to do debugging (well maybe without MPLAB which I don't really see as much of a loss).
:=Mark

ICDS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

You most likely know you can debug the assembler ( lst file ) produced as a result of the c code compilation. Just bring up the window and step through it.

Re: ICDS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

CCS told me that if I speed up the ICD-S to the 20Mhz version, that it will no longer work with MPLAB. I'm not sure why. They also don't annotate the upgrades to ICD-S, so I never know which newer chips it nw supports. I was told that it now works for 16F819, but not yet for 18F1220/1320.

Anyone know about the 20 Mhz MPLAB incompatibility?

:=You most likely know you can debug the assembler ( lst file ) produced as a result of the c code compilation. Just bring up the window and step through it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

John
Well, of course the mplab ICD-S xtal is 3.686mhz, so the hex file ("MPL876") is for that xtal freq. Therefore the serial port timings in mplab are for 3.686 mhz frequency. For 20mhz to work in Mplab the software and the mplab ICDs file must both be compatable for 20mhz. Mplab ICD-S was compiled only for the 3.686 Mhz xtals not 20mhz. CCS ICD-S was compiled for both, thats why it works at 20mhz in CCS ICD.
Best regards, SAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

SAR - thanks for the reply. It's starting to sound like it's time for me to break down and get an ICD2. It's funny, the CCS FAQ discussion of their ICD vs. Microchip's ICD seem to compare apples to oranges. The CCS devics are tested using PCWH debugger and the Microchip ICD2 is tested using MPLAB.
So the comparison seems sort of meaningless. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

I hate to go spend close to $200 on an ICD2 for small gains, but I am using new parts that so far only work on ICD2 and I find myself preferring MPLAB to PCW and, strangely enough, going back towards assembler and away from c.
Who would have guessed?

JC

:=John
:=Well, of course the mplab ICD-S xtal is 3.686mhz, so the hex file ("MPL876") is for that xtal freq. Therefore the serial port timings in mplab are for 3.686 mhz frequency. For 20mhz to work in Mplab the software and the mplab ICDs file must both be compatable for 20mhz. Mplab ICD-S was compiled only for the 3.686 Mhz xtals not 20mhz. CCS ICD-S was compiled for both, thats why it works at 20mhz in CCS ICD.
:=Best regards, SAR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

HMMM ... actually I didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

Is this feature in the help file someplace? OK, OK I found it. RTFM. This will probably be a big help uncovering compiler bugs.

What I'd also like to be able to do, is use my ICDS with programs written in assembler.

Mark

:=You most likely know you can debug the assembler ( lst file ) produced as a result of the c code compilation. Just bring up the window and step through it.

Re: release of ICDS firmware API
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

Henry,

I'm using the original crystal. 20 Mhz would be nice, but I like changing one variable at a time. I'm not sure of my ability to resolder crystals more than once. Of course I guess I could always socket the crystal.

Mark

:=Hi Mark,
:=Did you change the XTAL to 20Mhz or are you still using the
:=original 3.xxMhz?
:=Thank
:=:=Does anyone have a guess if and when CCS might release the API for talking to an ICDS. I recently upgraded my MPLAP-ICD to use the ICDS firmware (works great). It would be really nice to be able to use it to debug assembler also.
:=:=
:=:=There is a cryptic comment on the PCW debugger web page about emulator information coming soon.
:=:=It seems like it'd be pretty easy to hook an RS232 monitor to the ICDS and see what the commands sent to it look like. Then it would be a simple task to write a front end for those commands. This would allow you to keep using your MPLAB-ICD to do debugging (well maybe without MPLAB which I don't really see as much of a loss).
:=:=Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: