CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

DDS modulation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinl

DDS modulation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am using a AD9830 DDS chip to generate 10MHz which I would like to modulate with a 1Khz tone. I know I can do this externally but is possible to do it digitally i.e within the PIC. Somehow mix in the 1kHz tone data with the 32bit data that goes to the DDS.Question

Regards, Kev
C Turner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

I take it that you are referring to FMing it? It's been a while since I looked at the 9830 data sheet, but I don't recall that there are provisions to affect output amplitude via the programming.

Do you care about lots of sidebands, aliasing effect, etc, or not?

To simply put some 1 KHz (FM) energy on it, one need only load the two frequency registers with accumulator values correlating with a frequency on either side of center, and then switch between the two at 2 KHz: It will be (essentially) and FMed square wave, complete with lots of sidebands.

Similarly, you could simply switch the phase 180 degrees (or less) at the same rate and effect a modulation - also a rather sideband-rich signal. That method would be more akin to PM, but if only a single modulation frequency is involved, who can tell?

If you want more of a "sine-ish" modulation, then you'll have to do the whole deal with sine lookup tables, sample rates, etc. You'll still end up with a rather interesting spectrum, however, as you'll have aliasing effects on your modulated signal.

If you *do* need a "clean" sine wave on the modulated signal, you could do two things:

- Bandpass filter the resulting signal. This might be tricky, as the aliased components may be too close to remove cheaply/easily.

- Regenerate the signal using a tracking PLL with a bandwidth-limited loop. This scheme is commonly used where DDS techniques are employed in signal generation for transmit and (especially) receive applications where they myriad low-level spurs intrinsic to DDS techniques could cause a problem.
Steve H.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:32 pm     Reply with quote

Here is a link to a Analog Devices App Note...
[url]
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Application_Notes/545038480AN-543.pdf
[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: