CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS Compiler steal windows focus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
afk_pic

CCS Compiler steal windows focus
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:59 am     Reply with quote

Hello this issue is annoying,

When I compiling (takes almost 1 minute) normally made another task, like read email, respond emails, etc. But CCS always steal windows focus, if I am typing when compiling and I press "enter" then the compilation stops.

Very frustrating, any options??

Regards
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:47 am     Reply with quote

get a second computer ?
Not trying to be 'smart', but all PCs can only do one thing at a time,same as a PIC. essentially Windows does 'time share' not true parallel multitasking. Maybe the 'multicore' ones do ? I'm a dinosaur, only know how it was 'in the beginning',1 CPU with one ALU. How many programs are loaded and running ? Any 'autoupdates' allowed ? Any antivirus pgms installed ?
If it's taking a whole minute to compile, that implies rather large programs(or AV SW running...).again.. a 'flag' that you should have a 2nd, dedicated 'PIC programming platform, checking emails means that PC has net access...you might end up with a virus that destroys your PC AND all your PIC programs....For 15+- years I ran 3 PCs. One hooked to the internet, one for 'PIC programming' and a 3rd for testing. Programs had to be transferred via USB Flash drive. Everything backed up x3 (hard drive, 2nd hard drive, flash drive).
The good news is it doesn't take you 15 MINUTES to erase a PIC !
afk_pic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 am     Reply with quote

temtronic wrote:
get a second computer ?
Not trying to be 'smart', but all PCs can only do one thing at a time,same as a PIC. essentially Windows does 'time share' not true parallel multitasking. Maybe the 'multicore' ones do ? I'm a dinosaur, only know how it was 'in the beginning',1 CPU with one ALU. How many programs are loaded and running ? Any 'autoupdates' allowed ? Any antivirus pgms installed ?
If it's taking a whole minute to compile, that implies rather large programs(or AV SW running...).again.. a 'flag' that you should have a 2nd, dedicated 'PIC programming platform, checking emails means that PC has net access...you might end up with a virus that destroys your PC AND all your PIC programs....For 15+- years I ran 3 PCs. One hooked to the internet, one for 'PIC programming' and a 3rd for testing. Programs had to be transferred via USB Flash drive. Everything backed up x3 (hard drive, 2nd hard drive, flash drive).
The good news is it doesn't take you 15 MINUTES to erase a PIC !

Hello, we are at year 2021, our PCs has multicore processing!! Can run more of one task at time!

With a 2nd PC you are trying kill flies with cannons, no sense...

Anyway, it's my job, i can't request a 2nd PC for only programming PICs.
temtronic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:49 am     Reply with quote

Last 'multicore processing' I coded was the Motorola 6809, I have no knowledge how Windows does 'multicore' but there's got to be a LOT of 'overhead' to run pgm 'a' in core 1, pgm 'b' in core 3...memory access has to be very complicated.
Since you can't use a 2nd PC, best look at what pgms, apps, processes are running and pause/stop/delete those you do not need. other problems would be HD access.unless you have 2 HD controllers all pgms will use ONE controller for hd access. that would slowdown overall operations.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:59 am     Reply with quote

There's not really any noticeable overhead for multicore. If anything it speeds up everything.

For the OP: Do you have background compiling enabled in the IDE options? I do and mine doesn't take focus on my windows 10 PC.
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:49 am     Reply with quote

re:
Quote:
With a 2nd PC you are trying kill flies with cannons, no sense...

When your one and only PC crashes from a virus, you'll see what a dedicated 'PIC PC' makes sense. Virtually ZERO cost, aside from a KVM box.
As for CCS 'stealing the PC', what version of Windows ? I run W98SE, 7U and 10 without any delays...
vtrx

Re: CCS Compiler steal windows focus
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 am     Reply with quote

afk_pic wrote:
When I compiling (takes almost 1 minute)...

I think it's a long time.
There's something with your operating system that isn't optimized, or some background program that hasn't been checked.

Quote:
Hello, we are at year 2021, our PCs has multicore processing!! Can run more of one task at time!

Don't forget that the system will use the same hard drive.
Have you checked the integrity of your hard drive?
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

What we don't know is program size. Is it 100 lines of code or 10,000 ? what level optimization ? Is the AV SW always active ? Most will scan EVERYTIME a program is run, which means the compiler program has to be scanned before it runs. How 'full' is the fake hard drive ? Somewhere I read newer Windows run a cached HD, yet more OS to fumble the bits....
Who set the priority for which programs to run ?
'Windows' keeps getting more and more complicated and who decides on the 'default' operating parameters ?

One day, some 'program' decided to reduce the power level on a USB port, that had been fine for 3-4 YEARS. My program stopped (errored), eventually I figured out the USB port had been changed. Reconfigured to MY spec, it's been fine. Have no idea WHAT caused it, just a 'windows glitch'......
Was there a specific time when 'it took over, took too long' ? If so, what 'updates' were run ?
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

vtrx wrote:
Don't forget that the system will use the same hard drive.
Have you checked the integrity of your hard drive?

I think that you're probably right. I have many different computers and the only one that I started having problems with in terms of the CCS compiler (installation suddenly corrupt, taking a very long time to launch the compiler, to actually compile, etc.) ended up being caused by an SSD that was starting to go.
Humberto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

The CCS compiler is actually very effective with regards to compile times.
If your application takes so long to solve a task, clearly there is a problem with your operating system, you have an antivirus running in real time, or you have some malware that is using CPU resources.
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del you will have access to the Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab, by clicking on CPU you will see all the active processes and the CPU load that each process requires.
You can select one of them and Stop the Process (as long as it is not a vital one for Windows).

regards
Humberto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Have to agree.
I must admit I start to suspect there is some form of I/O error involved here.
If the system talking to the SSD is having to retry, this is a kernel 'low
level' event, and takes priority over everything else.
I'd be checking the error logs to see if anything is reported. It should be.
Gives you a chance to find out what is going on.
bkamen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:56 am     Reply with quote

vtrx wrote:
afk_pic wrote:
When I compiling (takes almost 1 minute)...

I think it's a long time.
There's something with your operating system that isn't optimized, or some background program that hasn't been checked.

Compiling to a network mapped drive can be notoiously slower than to a local drive.

(even on a Gb network -- go figure)

Not sure that's the OP's problem -- but just thought I would mention it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Hi, i'm back

No, the problem is the prompt when compile the multiple .c or .h files that my project includes. Compiling takes too time because the source files are in a server.

I'm not using the CCS IDE, I use eclipse, check the issue:

temtronic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:35 am     Reply with quote

source files , really all files , should not be on a 'server' rather stored on the PC you develop your projects on.
Aside from the 'time to compile' problem, the more serious one, is anyone might be able to modify or corrupt those source files.
jeremiah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

afk_pic wrote:
Hi, i'm back

No, the problem is the prompt when compile the multiple .c or .h files that my project includes. Compiling takes too time because the source files are in a server.

I'm not using the CCS IDE, I use eclipse, check the issue:

I don't have a good answer on the stealing focus part (assuming that is still an issue since you reopened the thread?).

However, I will slightly disagree with temtronic here a bit and say all source files should be on a server that runs backups. Way safer than on a dedicated PC. That said, I would really suggest using an easy to setup source control. We use git and host the repository on our network server, but do all our compiling locally. once we have it working, we push the code and hex files up to the repository. We also have a rule that any products being programmed must use files pulled from the network repository. Eclipse should support this pretty easily and there are lots of free source control products out there to choose from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: