CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

I2C Slave: how to generate NAck ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fadeout

I2C Slave: how to generate NAck ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

As you can see, who can remember (ref. old posts), I'm fighting (and loosing :( ) with I2C.

Now my HW seems to be ok. (if someone wants to know how just ask).

I'm not able to generate a NACK (not using built in functions) so questions:

1) Is true that I have to generate NACK at the last received byte? (source AN734 page 1)

2) How can I do this ?

Please help me: I'm getting mad with this project...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

This is my understanding.
1) No. The slave hardware generates the ACK (low) or NACK (high) based on whether the byte has been handled or not. It's not a programming option in itself. See page 4 description of SSPOV bit function.

If the slave buffer is large enough for the number of bytes sent by the master or the bytes are just transferred to a port after address match then a NACK will not be generated on any of the received bytes.

HTH
fadeout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:53 am     Reply with quote

That is was the way I worked until now.

But I can only do:

1) Master write: as many bytes as I want BUT I can't get the interrupt on the stop bit

2) Master read: my slave can only send one byte. Here I detect the stop bit (same interrupt handler).

I noticed that my problem is that in case (2) I can't understand why the slave (PIC) reads ACK/NACK with one clock before he should: from PC I have no time to put low the SDA Line. This is an error (I don't know why) but at this condition I clear detect the Stop condition.

Otherwise, in case (1), Master transmit as many byte as I want and always read ACK: here (there is no NACK) I can't get to stop condition.

So my actual experience and from AN734:

Quote:
After the last data byte, a NACK is sent by the
Slave to the Master to indicate that no more bytes
should be sent. After the NACK pulse, the Master initiates
the STOP condition to free the bus.

Also in each figure you can see, also in Dataasheet, you'll find NACK on the last byte in writing and reading operations.

I2C spec don't speak about this. My doubt is that is a PIC "feature".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

The quote and Figure 1 show an example of operations, not what happens automatically I think.
To make the hardware generate the NACK (or more correctly not generate the ACK by pulling SDA low) after the last byte received then it would be necessary to count the incoming bytes and not read the last two bytes as they come in.
Reading a byte from SSPBUF clears the BF bit, so if it is not read the SSPOV bit is set on the falling edge of the 8th bit on the next byte and then the NACK is generated on the 9th bit.
That is, there needs to be two bytes at the end that are not read immediately - the second last one could be read later by reading SSPBUF, the last one not readable.
I haven't tried this but it should work if you really want the master to see the NACK. Doesn't sound right, but that's the way I read the data sheet.

1) There is no interrupt on the slave when the master issues a start or a stop. The interrupt flag is only set when a byte is received and ACK is generated.
The bits in SSPSTAT only show which one was last detected by the hardware, S or P. If S was last detected then P last detected will be zero, and vice versa.
So in the isr you make sure the S was last detected by including the bit in the mask.

2) Sounds like a timing problem. The stop last detected on the slave should only occur if the master has done a stop.
fadeout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:57 am     Reply with quote

Thank you guest. I agree with you for the "method" to not generate the ACK; I haven't tried it yet.
So am I think that I shuold have a timing problem but no way finding where.

I'm so despaired that I'm changing my comm protocol to read back from the slave only one byte at time....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: