CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

The CCS ICD and the Microchip ICD, which is good ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arunb

The CCS ICD and the Microchip ICD, which is good ?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I saw the ad for the CCS ICD in the website. I know that the ICD offered by microchip has some restrictions , does the CCS one have the same restrictions ?? Also does it support other mcus like PIC 16F628 etc.

Do you think an ICE is better ??

cheers
arun
Haplo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:34 pm     Reply with quote

In my opinion CCS ICD is better.

http://www.ccsinfo.com/faq/?46
vaneenbergen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:28 am     Reply with quote

i think ICD is better then an ICE, because your not workong on a bound out but the device it self at the cortrect speed. Further a ICD is more cost effective than an ice, acccept for the download times they can take up to a minutoe for very large oprograms (using 64k on a 18F8720).

CCS / microchip. the micro chip version is more expensive, but for the CCS version you need the PCW software. i stepped from microchip to CCS because the PCW enveroment is made for the compiler and will handle is better. and also the ICD can be used standalone for production.

joost
Vector Research

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:16 am     Reply with quote

Except if you live in canada, then the Microchip ICD is much cheaper if you add on the cost of shipping (assuming you are buying it from Digikey where you only pay $8.00cdn for shipping)
I do like the Specs of the CCS ICD compared to the Microchip one, however it is as much for shippping as the unit costs to get it to canada..

that my $0.02

Vince
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Now I thought the Canadians were buying the hockey puck microchip ICD2 for its shape alone forgeting that the CCS is the better matched product for the CCS compiler. But it was the postage costs all along. If Digikey can post /mail to Canada for $8 CCS ought to be able to do it as well. I bought the microchip ICD2 a year or two back and returned it for a full refund of $200 ( Microchip had no working software for it in MP lab at that time). The CCS supported the microchip ICD1 into the new 18xxxx chips. In contrast, Microchip dumped everyone using the ICD1 to market the hockey puck ICD2 when it didn't even work.
Anyway the ICDU-40 I got for $35 from CCS is the best priced and the most capable product.
Jeff King

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

See:

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17981&highlight=

and CCS does claim they are working to make the program uploads faster, but I don't know the current status.
mooseo

What about different chips?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

I am also trying to chose between the ICD2 and the ICD-U40. As a student, I can get the educational discount, but that package appears to only work with the c16f876/7 chips. I am working on a class project that uses a c16f818, but we are coding it in assembler.

Is there any way that I will be able to use the ICD-U40 to load code on this chip (not necessarily write C-code for it) if I don't have the upgraded software that supports more chips?

thanks,
mike
user1

icd_u or icd-2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

If the icd _u is working well,
it would be better, but

In my advice for assembler would be
better to use icd2 from Microchip,
with the last Mplab, icd2 from microchip
is better than icd-U. and the technical support
is better with Microchip.
If you email a problem to CCS, it
will take a life for an answer.

The technical support of CCS is the worst!
dyeatman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

I am running the ICDU under XP on a 2.8 GHZ laptop and the upload time for a program using 65% of a 16F876 is 11 seconds (bulk erase mode) which is extremely fast!

The debugger is also working well and I am very pleased.

I have used the Warp13 and ICD1 for years and was happy with that combo but this seems to be much better so far. The chips supported by ther ICDU are listed on the tools page. The 16F628 is one of the few that is not supported by ICDU for debugging mode but most all the rest are.
Jeff King

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:25 pm     Reply with quote

dyeatman wrote:
I am running the ICDU under XP on a 2.8 GHZ laptop and the upload time for a program using 65% of a 16F876 is 11 seconds (bulk erase mode) which is extremely fast!

What is the upload time on a ICD2? Maybe CCS has updated the driver, time to unpack the ICDU I guess and run the test again.
dyeatman

ICDU 40 Speed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:57 am     Reply with quote

One thing that really speeded things up on mine was to set the programming mode for 5V only rather than 5V or 3V. This appeared to increase the speed by 50% or more.

Dont have the ICD2 so I can't address that question unfortunately. Maybe someone else can...

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: